Recap of the 2015 MSU football awards banquet winners

<p>Senior wide receiver Aaron Burbridge, 16, and senior wide receiver Macgarrett Kings Jr., 85, celebrate Burbridge's touchdown in the first half during the game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. </p>

Senior wide receiver Aaron Burbridge, 16, and senior wide receiver Macgarrett Kings Jr., 85, celebrate Burbridge's touchdown in the first half during the game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21.

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

The MSU football team had its team banquet on Sunday and honored its graduating seniors who will leave MSU as one of the most successful senior classes in program history. The 2016 senior class leaves MSU with two Big Ten championships, a Rose Bowl win, a win in the 2016 Cotton Bowl over Baylor, a 3-1 record against the University of Michigan and a record of 42-11 through the past four seasons. 

Here is a look at the award winners

Governor’s Award (Most Valuable Player): Wide Receiver Aaron Burbridge -  After ranking fifth on the team in receiving yards during the 2014-15 season, Burbridge up his production and stepped up to fill the void left by Tony Lippett, who led MSU that season with 65 catches for 1,198 yards. Not only did Burbridge fill the void, he produced even better numbers than Lippett as he reeled in a Big Ten-best and MSU single-season record 85 catches for a Big Ten-best 1,258 yards during the 2015-16 season en route to being named the 2015 Richter-Howard Big Ten Receiver of the Year and a first team All-Big Ten selection by both the coaches and the media.

Downtown Coaches Club Award - Outstanding Senior Offense: Quarterback Connor Cook -  After leading MSU to a 17-16 win in the 2012 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Cook found himself as the number two quarterback behind then-senior Andrew Maxwell entering the 2013 season. After Maxwell struggled during week one, Cook was named the starter in week two against the University of South Florida and never looked back. Cook went on to become one of the all-time greatest quarterbacks in MSU history, as he finished his career having completed 57.5 percent of his passes for an MSU record 9,194 yards and an MSU record 71 touchdowns. Cook led MSU to two Big Ten championships as a sophomore and senior, while winning MSU its first Rose Bowl since 1988 in 2013.

This past season, Cook finished completing 56 percent of his passes for 3,131 yards, 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Cook became the first MSU quarterback to win the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, given to the nation's top college quarterback. Cook also became the first Spartan quarterback to win the Greise-Brees Big Ten Quarterback of the Year Award since it was created in 2011 and the first Spartan quarterback to be named first team All-Big Ten since Steve Juday in 1965. 

Downtown Coaches Club Award - Outstanding Senior Defense: Defensive End Shilique Calhoun - Last season Calhoun was named second-team All-American and first-team All-Big Ten, winning both honors for the third consecutive season after posting a career-high 10.5 sacks, career-high 15 tackles for loss and 18 quarterback hurries, leading the team in all three categories. Calhoun burst onto the scene in 2013, as he scored three defensive touchdowns in the team's first two games of the season. He was widely-regarded as one of the best pass rushers in the country. Calhoun appeared in a team-high 41 games to close out his MSU career and helped lead MSU to its second Big Ten title in three years. 

Downtown Coaches Club Award - Outstanding Senior Special Teams: Snapper Taybor Pepper

President's Award (Senior Lineman/Senior Back Perseverance)

Offense: Tight End Paul Lang

Defense: Cornerback Arjen Colquhoun

Up Front Award (Outstanding Lineman)

Offense: Center Jack Allen

Defense: Defensive lineman Lawrence Thomas

Biggie Munn Award (Most Inspirational)

Offense: Center Jack Allen

Defense: Linebacker Riley Bullough

Clarence Underwood (Sportsmanship Award)

Offense: Offensive Guard Donavon Clark

Defense: Defensive Tackle Joel Heath

MSU Football Players Association Community Service Award: Tight end Josiah Price

Outstanding Underclass Lineman

Offense: Offensive Tackle Jack Conklin

Defense: Defensive Tackle Malik McDowell

Outstanding Underclass Back

Offense: running back LJ Scott and Tailback Gerald Holmes

Defense: Safety Demetrious Cox

Jim Adams Award (Unsung Heroes)

Offense: Fullback Trevon Pendleton

Defense: Linebacker Chris Frey

Tommy Love Award (Most Improved)

Offense: Offensive lineman Benny McGowan

Defense: Linebacker Jon Reschke

Iron Man Award: Linebacker Darien Harris

Potsy Ross (Scholar-Athlete): Quarterback Tommy Vento

Captains Award: Jack Allen, Shilique Calhoun, Darien Harris

Danziger Award (Outstanding Detroit Area Player): Aaron Burbridge and Lawrence Thomas

Doug Weaver Oil Can (Team Humorist): Riley Bullough

Cowing Award (Senior Manager Award): Dan Kalchik

Con Demos Scholarship (Manager): Dan Kalchik

Share and discuss “Recap of the 2015 MSU football awards banquet winners” on social media.