Only one MSU-affiliated person in Belgium, 35 miles away from attacks

Editor's note: The Islamic State, or ISIS, claimed responsibility for the attacks. The story has been updated to reflect that.

Earlier on Tuesday, bombing attacks in Brussels, Belgium at its Zaventem airport and Maelbeek subway station killed 34 and injured a little under 200 as of 11 a.m. Tuesday.

As Belgium, Europe and the United States respond to this latest act of terrorism, to which the Islamic State has claimed responsibility, concerns about the safety and security of family members and friends naturally abounds.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody confirmed that there were no students in Belgium and that only one faculty member was on sabbatical in Ghent, a city roughly 35 miles north of Brussels. As of late Tuesday morning, MSU was still attempting to make contact with this faculty member.

"We are communicating with all of our study abroad students and program leaders who are going to Europe, there's a worldwide caution that the State Department put out concerning terrorist attacks and that's usually what we do in situations like this we take our lead from the State Department," Cody said.

Cody indicated that upcoming study abroad programs in Brussels, which would take place this summer, will not undergo any changes in light of the terror attacks.

"The main message we're giving to students and those traveling to Europe is to have a high level of vigilance and be aware of your surroundings, make sure you're comfortable in the city and location you're in and where security services are located," he said.

Share and discuss “Only one MSU-affiliated person in Belgium, 35 miles away from attacks” on social media.