Gov. John Kasich with message of optimism during campaign stop at Lansing Brewing Company

Republican presidential candidate Gov. John Kasich (R-OH) speaks to Lansing residents on March 8, 2016 at the Lansing Brewing Company, 518 E. Shiawassee St., in Lansing. Kasich spoke to residents urging support on the day of the Michigan primary election.
Republican presidential candidate Gov. John Kasich (R-OH) speaks to Lansing residents on March 8, 2016 at the Lansing Brewing Company, 518 E. Shiawassee St., in Lansing. Kasich spoke to residents urging support on the day of the Michigan primary election. —
Photo by Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen | and Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen The State News

Rounding out a week of campaigning in Michigan, Gov. John Kasich of Ohio and Republican candidate for the presidency spoke at the Lansing Brewing Company Tuesday to issue a message of positivity and optimismn in an election season that has seen him trail behind front-runner Donald Trump and others like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio.

"The sun is really coming up on the Kasich campaign," Kasich said. "Do you know why? It's because we're taking the high road to the most important office in the country."

His comment comes as a response to the recent increase in the vitriol and name-calling being thrown around by Republican candidates, particularly at Donald Trump, whose comment at the Republican debate referring to his genitalia garnered national outcry and lampooning.

Kasich quickly moved on to the economy, drawing on policies he put in place in Ohio and expressing a desire to bring that same brand of conservative economics to the White House.

"We've got the right conservative policies and it worked. Balancing budgets, common sense regulations, respect for small business owners and balancing budgets works every time," he said.

Under Kasich's administration, Ohio saw an increase in private sector jobs and a budget that went from a $7.7 billion shortfall to a $2 billion deposit into the state's savings account. With these talking points in mind, Kasich reiterated his campaign's optimistic message and promised a stronger American economy under his leadership.

Earlier in February, Kasich spoke at the MSU Union where he highlighted higher education funding. 

Closing out his speech, Kasich dismissed numerous polls showing an uphill battle for his candidacy and increasing Michigan support for Kasich as the primary drew closer.

"I've been saying for the past 24 hours, the whole country is watching Michigan," Kasich said. "For a guy who has labored in obscurity, rising in this state and carrying a positive message of hope, of opportunity, of confidence, of innovation, of youthfulness, can somebody with that message finally overcome the bad mood that we've seen? That's what they're looking at." 

Share and discuss “Gov. John Kasich with message of optimism during campaign stop at Lansing Brewing Company ” on social media.