Ohio Gov. John Kasich speaks at MSU, highlights higher ed funding

Gov. John Kasich of Ohio held a town hall meeting at the Union Monday and answered a number of questions, including his position as a candidate in the campaign on discrimination, scientific research and higher education funding.

MSU students and faculty boasted a turnout with more than 600 in attendance.

Kasich opened with a story about his experience at Ohio State University and related it to students at MSU.

During his time there as a student, he found himself under rather extraneous circumstances as he had an opportunity to sit down with the president of the United States at the time, Richard Nixon.

Kasich referenced students, particularly the millennial generation, as the principal driver of the United States in the 21st century.

“Our country isn’t being rekindled by big shots, it will be rekindled by you,” Kasich said, referring to the students.

He then opened the town hall gathering by taking several questions from the audience, the majority of which being led by students.

When asked about differentiating himself from other candidates, especially Republicans, Kasich stated he has “never changed himself” and runs a clean campaign.

“I don’t like billionaires deciding who should be president,” he said.

He also said that his political party is his “vehicle” and not his “driver,” and party politics should not be the sole dictator to decision making in government.

Kasich then addressed the issues of higher education affordability as well as research conducted by universities such as MSU.

"We need scientific research," he said, praising the research, like at MSU, as invaluable to the future of the United States.

In regards to higher education, Kasich admitted there is a clear problem on campuses throughout the country and the cost of higher education is skyrocketing.

Giving the examples of textbooks, meal plans and housing arrangements, Kasich said he thinks it is a “real problem” and is “open to creative solutions” from students on how to solve it.

He was also faced with tough questions from students about discrimination based on race, gender and sexual orientation.

While Kasich said he is opposed to “discrimination on any level," he is also opposed to constitutional amendments that seek to clarify such questions beyond what the law of the land already states, a notion many students in attendance disagreed with.

Political theory and constitutional democracy junior Tyler Silvestri said he is pleased to have a candidate speaking on campus, especially one “as moderate as Gov. Kasich."

The consensus among students is excitement for the presence such a prominent figure in today’s political climate.

Other, more independent voters are also excited to receive a candidate of the 2016 presidential primaries.

Social relations senior Maha Sadek said she was excited to hear what Kasich had to say to students.

“He's one of the few Republican candidates I'd consider voting for,” she said.

The introduction of the presidential candidate came from a member of the Michigan House of Representatives, Tom Leonard.

Also an endorser of the candidate, Leonard called Kasich “the only one who wants to be an adult in the room,” among a group of volatile Republican candidates. 

Share and discuss “Ohio Gov. John Kasich speaks at MSU, highlights higher ed funding” on social media.