MSU commit Cassius Winston adds state title to his hardware collection

Point guard Cassius Winston celebrates after the game against North Farmington during the MHSAA boy's championship game on March 26, 2016 at Breslin Center.
Point guard Cassius Winston celebrates after the game against North Farmington during the MHSAA boy's championship game on March 26, 2016 at Breslin Center. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

Already a four-time Catholic League champion and 2016 Hal Schram Michigan Mr. Basketball Award winner, Winston wanted to achieve something that had twice alluded him in the state semifinals in 2014 and 2015 — an MHSAA Class A state championship.

He got his chance when his U-D Jesuit squad defeated Macomb in the semi-finals, and after shooting 14-of-16 from the field and turning in a 31 point, nine assist performance to lead U-D Jesuit to a 69-49 victory over North Farmington High School in Saturday’s Class A state title game at Breslin Center, Winston’s high school career is complete.

“Excited, happy. I mean, you name it, I was probably feeling it,” a smiling Winston said of his emotions after the game. “We’ve been working long and hard for this. Me and Matt (Schearer) have been here three years. Ike (Eke) two years, me and Coach Donnelly (Pat) have been here all four years ... working for this moment right here to win a state championship.”

Winston has been a part of the U-D Jesuit varsity basketball team since his freshman year, and this season capped his career by leading the Cubs to a perfect 28-0 record.

"(Winston) took a great leadership role, especially with this season,” U-D Jesuit senior guard Matt Schearer said. “We have sort of a young team. We only have four seniors, but this year he definitely took a leadership role and this year he just showed through his actions, every day at practice, he encourages us to work hard, not only leading by example but vocally. ... I think from the start of the year, we were all focused in and all followed Cassius and wanted to accomplish what we all wanted.”

For U-D Jesuit basketball head coach Pat Donnelly, Winston has been a rock solid presence for his program for the last four years. He said he knows Winston has great things ahead of him at MSU.

“Cassius has been a phenomenal leader for four years,” Donnelly said. “He’s not only a great scorer and a great passer. He’s grown in his leadership skills verbally. He’s always been a leader by example in terms of his work ethic. He has been the face of this program for a number of years and the success that we’ve had in the last four years ... besides the coaching staff ... Cassius has been the only constant.

“Not to diminish what the other guys in the program have accomplished, but Cassius is Cassius and I have full confidence that he’s going to go on to great things in college.”

For Winston, the next stop is MSU. And fittingly, his high school career ended where his college one will begin — Breslin Center, where MSU basketball head coach Tom Izzo and several current MSU players took in Winston’s play during the weekend, making Saturday’s championship all the more sweet.

“You love that support,” Winston said. “That’s a really big reason why I committed. Michigan State is just such a huge family. They come out and support. They show love. Even the dudes that are in the NBA or retired in the NBA and they still come back and show love and support.”

Share and discuss “MSU commit Cassius Winston adds state title to his hardware collection” on social media.