MSU commit Cassius Winston leads U-D Jesuit past Macomb Dakota to state title game

Varsity forward Cassius Winston goes for a lay up during the game semifinal game between Detroit U-D Jesuita and Macomb Dakota on March 25, 2016 at  Breslin Center
Varsity forward Cassius Winston goes for a lay up during the game semifinal game between Detroit U-D Jesuita and Macomb Dakota on March 25, 2016 at Breslin Center —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

MSU 2016 basketball commit Cassius Winston scored 27 points and notched 12 assists to lead U-D Jesuit (27-0) to a 72-51 victory over Macomb Dakota (26-1) in the semifinals of the MHSAA Class A basketball tournament Friday from Breslin Center.

In a battle of two undefeated teams, Winston and U-D Jesuit jumped on the Dakota early. By halftime, the Cubs led 30-15. They never looked back and after losing in the state semifinals the last two seasons, U-D Jesuit will be playing for its first state championship in school history on Saturday.

Winston finished 8-of-16 shooting, including 10-15 from the free throw line, but even though Winston put up big numbers, Winston was hard on himself after the game, most notably for his slow start in the first half and his six turnovers for the game.

Despite the slow start in the first half, Winston came back with 20 points in the second half.

“I told him on the bench,” U-D Jesuit senior guard Matt Schearer said. “I guess in the first half he had a couple turnovers, didn’t look like himself. I thought he could’ve been more aggressive. But for him to end up with 27 (points) and he had a bunch of assists, that just shows he doesn’t let one play affect him, that he doesn’t get down on himself and let that affect his game.”

Winston was still more than happy to get the victory, though, especially with MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo in attendance, in addition to MSU basketball players Denzel Valentine, Bryn Forbes, Eron Harris and Marvin Clark Jr.

“You love that support,” Winston, the 2016 Hal Schram Mr. Basketball Award winner, said. “That’s a really big reason why I committed. Michigan State is just such a huge family. They come out and support. They show love. Even the dudes that are in the NBA or retired in the NBA and they still come back and show love and support.”

For now, though, Winston is focused on completing his final goal of his high school career.

“This is the final to my high school career,” Winston said. “I don’t think I have a successful high school career if I don’t win a state championship. So right now we’re one game away from completing that goal.”

U-D Jesuit will play in the Class A state championship game Saturday at noon.

Share and discuss “MSU commit Cassius Winston leads U-D Jesuit past Macomb Dakota to state title game” on social media.