MSU baseball set to take on U-M at Comerica Park

<p>Then-sophomore left fielder Cam Gibson slides into second as then Central Michigan infielder Alex Borglin misses a catch May 13, 2014, at Comerica Park in Detroit. The Chippewas defeated the Spartans, 7-4. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Then-sophomore left fielder Cam Gibson slides into second as then Central Michigan infielder Alex Borglin misses a catch May 13, 2014, at Comerica Park in Detroit. The Chippewas defeated the Spartans, 7-4. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

The baseball team (18-15 overall, 4-5 Big Ten) is prepared to play in one of it biggest games of the season. The Spartans will take on Michigan (21-14 overall, 6-6 Big Ten) at Comerica Park in Detroit on Tuesday night.

“When you play your rival, guys are excited to play them. It will be a fun atmosphere at Comerica Park,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “It’s obviously a pretty special place to play — there’s a lot that goes into Tuesday night that’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Any matchup between MSU and U-M is a key matchup, not only because of the history of the rivalry, but conference realignment has forced the Spartans and the Wolverines to see less of each other.

MSU didn’t even play U-M last season, and Tuesday’s game in Detroit is the only time they will meet this season.

Senior pitcher Mick VanVossen, who earned the win in the Spartans’ 14-3 victory over Northwestern on Sunday, spoke in depth about how big the game is.

“It’s tough with the conference realignment, we don’t get to play them in conference,” VanVossen said. “With that being our rival, we only get to play them one time this year. It’s going to be fun. I know they’ve got a good club down there in Ann Arbor, but I think we’re better, so hopefully we put it to them.

“You don’t have a series to show them that you’re better, you’ve got to do it in the one game."

Senior first baseman Ryan Krill spoke about how the game would be a battle for ultimate bragging rights.

“It’s going to be a fun atmosphere to play in. It’s at Comerica Park so that’s always awesome,” Krill said. “It’s kind of for the title of the best team in Michigan.”

The Spartans are coming into the contest in their best form of the season. MSU has won six of its last seven regular-season games and put up an impressive 50 runs after spending most of the season struggling with being able to score runs.

“We’ve started to feel more confident at the plate. I think we play very good defense, (and) we’ve gotten some timely hits,” Boss said. “I think we’re starting to feel pretty good about ourselves offensively, which is good.

“Hitting is contagious, and (baseball) is so much a confidence game, so hopefully we keep that going.”

The Spartans haven’t played Michigan since 2013, a year in which they went 0-3 against the Wolverines. MSU also falls short in the all-time series record at 193-107-2.

Share and discuss “MSU baseball set to take on U-M at Comerica Park” on social media.