Saturday, August 30, 2014 | Last updated: 12:54am

MSU returns to Comerica Park for clash with CMU

Most young ballplayers dream about playing under the bright lights of a professional stadium. For one night a year, the dream becomes a reality for members of the MSU baseball team.

Prior to a Big Ten weekend series with Minnesota, the Spartans will take part in the Clash at Comerica on Wednesday against Central Michigan at Comerica Park in Detroit (6:35 p.m., Spartan Sports Network).

The now third-annual event highlights two of the most historically successful baseball programs in Michigan and gives them a 41,782 seat venue to showcase what they’ve got.

With several players on the roster who grew up minutes from the Detroit area, it’s an event that often stirs large crowds of family members and friends donning the Green and White. It’s also personal for others, including sophomore catcher Blaise Salter and freshman outfielder Cam Gibson, who are related to former Detroit Tigers Bill Freehan and Kirk Gibson, respectively.

As the teams prepare to make the trip to Comerica Park for the third time, here’s a look back at the previous games of the event.

MSU 3, Central Michigan 1

Attendance: 2,169

Star of the game: MSU pitcher Andrew Waszak (Seven innings, five hits, one earned run and six strikeouts)

In the inaugural Clash at Comerica, MSU’s Andrew Waszak shined on the state’s most prominent baseball venue. The then-sophomore pitcher held the Chippewas to just five hits and a single run in the winning effort.

Meanwhile, both offenses scored all their runs in the first inning, allowing the pitching duel between Waszak and Central Michigan’s Bryce Morrow be the story of the evening.

MSU 5, Central Michigan 2

Attendance: 3,458

Star of the game: MSU shortstop Justin Scanlon (3-for-3, one RBI, two walks) and MSU catcher Joel Fisher (1-for-4, two-run home run)

A much warmer environment yielded similar results as the Spartans topped the Chippewas, 5-2.

Chippewa pitcher Rick Dodridge struggled in 2.1 innings, giving up five hits and four earned runs — including a two-run home run by catcher Joel Fisher in the second inning — while walking four.

On the other side, then-freshman pitcher Mick VanVossen improved to 4-0 on the season with a strong seven inning effort.