Michigan native jazz musicians to showcase at MSU

For the first time since its start in 2013, the College of Music’s Jazz Artist in Residence Program is showcasing two musicians from Michigan.

Up until now, the program has hosted a wide variety of artists from across the country.

Over the course of a week, musicians host workshops with College of Music students, perform at various elementary and secondary schools in the state and end with a performance for the whole community.

This week’s program will finish off with Michigan icons Vincent Bowens and Tim Froncek performing along with MSU’s Jazz Octets at 8 p.m. Friday in the Cook Recital Hall.

Professor of jazz studies Diego Rivera said these artists were some of the first teachers he had as a young jazz musician.

He said Michigan, especially Detroit, has a long tradition of being encouraging to young musicians learning to play jazz music.

“It’s important to honor those musicians who have made the dedication and the commitment to keeping the music alive here in Michigan,” Rivera said.

He said though the program has normally brought artists from all over the nation, there is a wealth of great jazz musicians close to home.

“In some ways it means more just because the artists are from Michigan and there’s a real connection with the schools and the community,” Rivera said.

Saxophonist Vincent Bowens grew up in Detroit studying jazz throughout middle and high school and later at Oakland University. He has performed and collaborated with many regional jazz icons, including MSU professor Rodney Whitaker.

Drummer Tim Froncek directs the jazz program at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, is a professor at Grand Valley State University and is musical director of the Grand Rapids Jazz Orchestra and Muskegon’s Truth in Jazz Orchestra. The West Michigan Jazz Society voted him jazz musician of the year in 2004.

“They feel very proud about the fact that they’re from Michigan and they’re able to tour in their home state,” Rivera said. “We’re very proud that we’re able to celebrate musicians who have developed their career and reside in Michigan.”

Rivera said there’s a sense of pride in this week’s program, and the jazz students are eager to share the road and the bandstand with these great artists.

Share and discuss “Michigan native jazz musicians to showcase at MSU” on social media.