Students continue "die-in" protests at Main Library

<p>Lyman Briggs and human biology senior Chantelle Washington, left, leads the march with other protesters Dec. 7, 2014, during a die-in protest at the MSU Library. "It is sad that we have to be lying dead in the streets to be relevant," Washington said. The group of students blocked the entrances and walk ways in the library and marched afterwards in protest of police violence against black people while other MSU students were present to study for finals week. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Lyman Briggs and human biology senior Chantelle Washington, left, leads the march with other protesters Dec. 7, 2014, during a die-in protest at the MSU Library. "It is sad that we have to be lying dead in the streets to be relevant," Washington said. The group of students blocked the entrances and walk ways in the library and marched afterwards in protest of police violence against black people while other MSU students were present to study for finals week. Raymond Williams/The State News

Photo by Raymond Williams | The State News

"Die-in" protests against police brutality and racism seem to be continuing into finals week, with the latest demonstration in the MSU Main Library.

Protesters are trying to raise awareness on campus of what they feel has been displays of injustice across the country pertaining to the death of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.

A "die-in" protest involves participants lying down in silence, often in the streets or in a highly trafficked area, simulating death.

Students laid down on Grand River Ave. in protest Saturday afternoon, and again Sunday evening at the Main Library. At the west entrance of the library, patrons were forced to step over more than a dozen students. Afterward, protesters marched through the library.

"It is sad that we have to be lying dead in the streets to be relevant," said Lyman Briggs and human biology senior Chantelle Washington, who participated in the protest. 

Share and discuss “Students continue "die-in" protests at Main Library ” on social media.