Monday, October 28, 2024

Japan Club mixes eastern and western traditions at Halloween Curry Party

<p>Intercultural communication and language program sophomore Shu Toyoda cheers after finishing a relay game Oct. 26, 2014, during the Japan Club's annual Curry Party at the Spartan Village Community Center, 1460 Middlevale Road in East Lansing. Japanese curry and bubble tea from Bubble Island was served at the Halloween themed party. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Intercultural communication and language program sophomore Shu Toyoda cheers after finishing a relay game Oct. 26, 2014, during the Japan Club's annual Curry Party at the Spartan Village Community Center, 1460 Middlevale Road in East Lansing. Japanese curry and bubble tea from Bubble Island was served at the Halloween themed party. Erin Hampton/The State News

Though students carry their own culture, living and going to school with thousands of others from different backgrounds can influence the customs they practice.

On Sunday, the MSU Japan Club’s seventh annual Curry Party was an example of cultural melding. Although Halloween is not widely celebrated in Japan, the event carried the holiday theme.

President of the Japan Club, mechanical engineering junior Hiroya Miyoshi  said, “Celebrating Halloween is not something we do in Japan — it’s completely new to us.”

Nevertheless, students in the Japan Club donned vibrant Halloween costumes while showcasing Japanese food and culture.

“I feel like people can’t get to know each other with culture barriers,” Miyoshi said. “I think that is the biggest barrier between people, second to language.”

Miyoshi said the live Japanese band and authentic food were a part of the club’s attempt to introduce attendees to Japanese culture.

“I think that it is great that everyone can come together at events like this. It creates great opportunities,” freshman advertising major Yayun Wang  said of the students at the party, who came from multiple cultural backgrounds.

In addition to embracing his own culture, Wang said he also appreciates other cultures.

“I just try my best to make friends who are not only Asian, but are a part of other cultures and backgrounds,” Wang said.

American and Japanese cultures are different in multiple ways, Miyoshi said, from the food to the educational system. And although they embrace many American customs, Japanese culture is very important to students in the Japan Club.

“We want to represent Japan well. We love our country,” Miyoshi said. “The population of Japanese students has greatly declined over the years — we are trying to help MSU sustain its diverse population.”

Share and discuss “Japan Club mixes eastern and western traditions at Halloween Curry Party” on social media.