Indiana eliminates MSU baseball from Big Ten Tournament with 7-4 victory

A three-run ninth inning doomed the Spartans in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals, falling to No. 1-seed Indiana 7-4.

Sophomore left-hander Anthony Misiewicz pitched the first five innings and retired eight batters. Senior catcher Joel Fisher led MSU with two RBI's. 

The Spartans finish the regular season with a 31-26 record.

Misiewicz started strong, retiring the first three Hoosier batters to quickly end the top of the first. 

The Spartans scored almost just as quickly. Following a double by junior catcher Blaise Salter and an intentional walking of junior outfielder Jimmy Pickens, Fisher made Indiana pay with a two-run double to left field, giving MSU a 2-0 lead going into the second inning. 

Indiana responded at the top of the second with two RBI's, tying the game. Junior catcher Brad Hartong hit a groundout RBI to score redshirt junior outfielder Scott Donley, and redshirt junior outfielder Will Nolden hit an RBI single to middle field to drive home senior infielder Dustin Demuth.

The Spartans were caught stealing bases twice to end innings — Fisher was caught in a double play after over-leaking from first base to end the fourth, and freshman infielder Johnny Nate was picked off in an attempt to steal second to end the fifth. 

The Hoosiers retook the lead at the top of the sixth. Donley drove home junior catcher Kyle Schwarber on an RBI groudout. 

MSU responded at the bottom of the sixth. Leadoff hitter and sophomore infielder Cam Gibson hit a single to left field, and Pickens later followed with a single to right field to score Gibson from second.

Redshirt junior outfielder Tim O'Connor gave Indiana the lead once again at the top of the seventh with an RBI double to right field, driving home Nolden to make the score 4-3.

Salter was big for the Spartans at the bottom of the eighth, scoring Gibson following an error at third base. Gibson had previously stolen third to put himself into scoring position. 

With the bases loaded at the top of the ninth, Donley hit a two-RBI double to right field to give the Hoosiers a 6-4 lead. Redshirt senior left-hander Chase Rihtarchik sealed the win for Indiana right after, advancing junior infielder Sam Travis home to push the lead to 7-4.

Indiana finished the game with a defensive stop, completing a double play.

Share and discuss “Indiana eliminates MSU baseball from Big Ten Tournament with 7-4 victory” on social media.