Baseball beats Eastern Michigan on road

MSU used five runs in the top of fourth inning to earn a road victory over Eastern Michigan, 5-3, Tuesday evening at Oestrike Stadium.

After surrendering three runs in the fourth inning, MSU was able to hold the Eagles to only one more hit.

Sophomore pitcher Anthony Misiewicz earned the win for the Spartans, giving up only two hits to the Eagles in six innings' work.

Misiewicz came into relieve freshman pitcher Walter Borkovich after he gave up two runs to begin the bottom of the fourth inning.

Junior outfielder Chase Toth had an impressive outing on Tuesday, finishing 3-4 with one run batted in and one run scored.

MSU as a whole finished with nine hits, while Eastern Michigan only put up six.

Five different Spartans had hits in the game, with freshman third baseman Dan Durkin and junior shortstop Ryan Richardson also having multi-hit nights.

Both teams struck in the fourth inning to finally break the scoreless tie.

MSU scored five runs off only three hits in the inning to take the lead in the top half of the inning.

MSU was able to load the bases without even earning a hit, after two base on balls and one hit by pitch.

From there, Tooth bunted for a single to give MSU the 1-0 lead.

Durkin would then single up the middle to add a couple more runs for MSU.

The inning would finish with a two more runs coming off ground outs from sophomore outfielder Cam Gibson and junior first baseman Blaise Salter.

However, Eastern Michigan would quickly trim the lead with three runs of their own.

The Eagles used four hits and one Spartan error to register the three runs in the bottom half of the fourth inning.

That would be all of the scoring for the rest of the game, with MSU failing to take advantage of multiple scoring chances.

MSU was threatening to extend its lead in the top of the eighth inning, but left the bases loaded when senior catcher Joel Fisher flew out to right field.

In total, MSU left 13 men on base on Tuesday night, but still was able to hold onto the non-conference victory.

Tuesday’s win was the first game of a six-game stretch in a six days.

MSU returns to the field against the Oakland Golden Grizzlies on Wednesday at 3:05 p.m.at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field.

It’ll be the home opener for the Spartans after an earlier home series against Ohio State was moved to Columbus because of weather and field conditions.

Share and discuss “Baseball beats Eastern Michigan on road ” on social media.