Fashion show to display student creations

<p>Apparel and textile design and Japanese junior MacLain Credeur works on a dress March 12, 2014, at the Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture Building in preparation for the Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show. The fashion show will be Saturday at The Wharton Center's Pasant Theatre at 7 p.m. and costs $15. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Apparel and textile design and Japanese junior MacLain Credeur works on a dress March 12, 2014, at the Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture Building in preparation for the Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show. The fashion show will be Saturday at The Wharton Center's Pasant Theatre at 7 p.m. and costs $15. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

For the past four years, students have challenged their designer skills to participate in the Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show. This year’s show will take place on Saturday night at Wharton Center.

The show has about 45 designers and more than 100 garments and models participating, said Shannon Gillespie, senior director of the show and an apparel and textile design senior.

At the fashion show, judges grade the garments and give awards such as Most Innovative, Best in Show and Judges’ Choice.

This year, apparel and textile design and Japanese junior MacLain Credeur has four garments in the show.

Credeur said he’s dedicated the past six months to his pieces. Now he’s just adding the final touches.

“This is hell week,” Credeur said. “But it’s worth it.”

Credeur, who participated last year, said seeing a model wearing his art walk down the runway is a very exciting feeling. Because most of the garments are wearable art, he said people who attend are amazed.

This is the first year in the show for apparel and textile design sophomore Cari Marcotullio. Marcotullio created a floor length dress made entirely of milk cartons.

Over the course of the past three weeks, Marcotullio collected all of the used milk cartons from Sparty’s convenience stores and cut the plastic into triangle pieces. She then began sewing the triangle pieces together with a clear plastic string.

But as a student, she said this final week has been stressful.

Because she wants to be in the fashion industry, Marcotullio said the show is good experience.

“I like when the public can appreciate your work and all the hard work put into it,” Marcotullio said.

Gillespie said next year they’re looking to move the show to a bigger venue because the show sells out every year.

Tickets for this year’s show have almost sold out.

Tickets to the show, held at Pasant Theatre, can be bought on the Wharton website for $15.

Share and discuss “Fashion show to display student creations” on social media.