Sunday, October 27, 2024

Recyclemania kicks off at MSU

<p>Dewitt Charter Township, Mich., resident and short-line specialist Nick Kwieck, right and political science sophomore Becky Dumbleton work at the <span class="caps">MSU</span> Recycling Center on Feb. 3, 2014. The <span class="caps">MSU</span> Recycling Center is the local facility participating in Recyclemania, a competition for universities and communities that lasts until March 31. Casey Hull/The State News</p>

Dewitt Charter Township, Mich., resident and short-line specialist Nick Kwieck, right and political science sophomore Becky Dumbleton work at the MSU Recycling Center on Feb. 3, 2014. The MSU Recycling Center is the local facility participating in Recyclemania, a competition for universities and communities that lasts until March 31. Casey Hull/The State News

When it comes to recycling, MSU is trying to keep its spot on the throne.

Last year, MSU recycled more than 1 million pounds of waste during Recyclemania.

The 14th annual Recyclemania competition began on campus Sunday. The competition, running through March 29, promotes increased recycling efforts across more than 400 universities.

It’s the fourth year MSU has participated in the nationwide challenge, and MSU Sustainability Communications Coordinator Joel Heckaman said the main focus this year is cutting down on overall waste.

Student Recycling Coordinator and professional writing senior Emily Wilson said MSU Sustainability is releasing tips about reusing practices on their Twitter and Facebook pages throughout Recyclemania.

MSU Sustainability also plans on unveiling a recycling awareness truck sometime in March when the snow clears, Heckaman said. Eventually, students can use an “augmented reality” app, where they can point their cellphones at the truck and receive a variety of educational videos on the importance of recycling.

All recycling bins in the academic halls soon will receive a makeover to streamline the service and increase their appeal, Heckaman said.

The recycling paper bins are reducing from three to two, he said. The choice is divided into high-grade and low-grade, or office paper and mixed paper, respectively.

Heckaman said many times electronics are unknowingly disposed of improperly which creates problems.

Anthropology senior Kelsey Carpenter collects all her recyclables and disposes of them at MSU’s facilities. She said trash can cause more problems than an eyesore on the streets.

“I’m really into animals and keeping them safe,” Carpenter said.

Share and discuss “Recyclemania kicks off at MSU” on social media.