Sunday, October 27, 2024

RHA to reopen movie rental offices, launch campaign promoting respect

The MSU Residence Hall Association, or RHA, met Wednesday to discuss plans for the spring semester, including a new on-campus campaign encouraging students to be more respectful and the relaunch of MSU’s movie rental offices.

The Live It! campaign is designed to get students engaged with the diverse communities on campus and urges them to take an online pledge to “connect with respect” as a Spartan.

Dee Hurlbert, director of the MSU LBGT Resource Center, advocated the initiative. She said that students have been wanting a campaign like “Live It” to make a better representation of what it means to be a Spartan and discourage future rioting and disrespect toward other students.

“We want to make sure that there are consequences when someone is treated disrespectfully,” Hurlbert said.

President Zachary DeRade said he is supportive of the campaign and hopes to encourage other groups besides the RHA to promote it.

“[Live It!] gives the message that this is very much the norm, the message that this is something we should all care about,” said DeRade.

DeRade said there are no official plans yet on how RHA is going to spread the word of Live It! on campus, but a meeting has been scheduled for next week to discuss it.

RHA also is encouraging students to live on campus, and online signup is still available. A street team of student volunteers will engage with students and talk with them about the opportunities that come with living on campus, said Ashley Cheney, representative for the Residence Education and Housing Services.

Cheney said that the street team also works as brand ambassadors and hosts large-scale events.

RHS has also announced the re-launching of the on-campus movie offices, something that many students don’t know are available, said Biomedical Laboratory Science junior Luwam Abraham, director of movie offices.

The movie offices were closed last semester as a provision to save funding and come up with a better strategy for the movie offices, said Abraham.

The goal is to change the way that movies are rented and give more access to students, she said, adding that two offices that were not handicap-accessible were closed down.

“My hope is that they will be utilized a lot more than they were last year,” said Abraham.

With advertising, Abraham said she hopes that students will become more aware of this resource and take advantage of it.

Share and discuss “RHA to reopen movie rental offices, launch campaign promoting respect” on social media.