Friday, May 17, 2024

East Lansing postpones swearing-in ceremony, mayor appointment

The appointment of a new mayor and the swearing-in ceremony of East Lansing city council members Ruth Beier, Susan Woods and Kathleen Boyle have been postponed to next Wednesday Nov. 20 at 6:30 p.m.

According to a statement from city officials, results from the Nov. 5 election have not been certified by the county.

East Lansing City Clerk Marie Wicks said there still will be a meeting tonight with the old council, but the only action will be to move to put the meeting to a recess until Nov. 20.

Wicks said the city charter requires the city to swear in the new council on the Tuesday following the elections, which is something they may have to reconsider.

“Going forward, what we’ve learned is we need to give ourselves a little more room between the election and the first meeting,” she said. “The silver lining is that we caught this before administering the oath.”

Wicks said the unofficial results should not be in jeopardy, and said this is not an uncommon occurrence. She said she expects the results to become official Wednesday.

Share and discuss “East Lansing postpones swearing-in ceremony, mayor appointment” on social media.