Sunday, May 12, 2024

Brunched over

From omelettes to bloody marys, East Lansing offers a variety of brunch choices

<p>The Red Cedar Cafe is open for business at 1331 East Grand River Ave. The cafe serves baked goods including cheesecakes, muffins and scones. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

The Red Cedar Cafe is open for business at 1331 East Grand River Ave. The cafe serves baked goods including cheesecakes, muffins and scones. Margaux Forster/The State News

It’s the morning after a long night out partying. Your eyelids feel glued together, your throat is dry and your stomach won’t stop growling. It is the perfect time for a hearty breakfast — or brunch, depending on how late you roll out of bed.?

Here are five restaurant options in East Lansing to help start the day the right way.

HopCat

300 Grove St.

HopCat recently started offering a brunch special, only available from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundays.

The menu has unique items such as No Kitty, That’s My Pot Pie!, which is the breakfast version of a traditional pot pie. Brunch sandwiches, and unique French toast and pancake dishes also are available. Most items on the brunch menu are under $10.

Guests 21 and older can enjoy a build-your-own bloody mary bar that is only offered during brunch.

Red Cedar Cafe

1331 East Grand River Ave., suite 111

Located in Brookfield Plaza, this restaurant opens up bright and early at 6:30 a.m. Owner Angie Anderson said its special is the frittata, or baked egg soufflé, which comes in a variety of flavors.

Red Cedar Cafe also serves breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal and yogurt parfaits.

Prices range from $1.89 to $5.99 for breakfast goods.

Beggar’s Banquet

218 Abbot Road

A longtime downtown East Lansing favorite, Beggar’s Banquet is known for its home-style atmosphere and cooking.

The restaurant has a wide range of foods, such as five different types of eggs Benedict dishes, stuffed French toast and the Beggular, which lets customers build their own three-egg omelette with a variety of options.

Beggar’s Banquet serves breakfast every day of the week from opening until 2 p.m.

Prices range from $5.99 to $9.99 for breakfast items.

Tony’s Restaurant

350 Albert Ave.

Tony’s Restaurant opens at 8 a.m. every day and most people come for the breakfast dishes, said server Dana Klecker.

The restaurant offers a wide variety of breakfast dishes, including 12 different types of omelettes, breakfast burritos, a range of pancakes and French toast.

Prices range from $2.50 to $9.19 for breakfast items.

Coral Gables

2838 East Grand River Ave.

A family-run business, Coral Gables has been an East Lansing staple since the 1920s.

The restaurant offers a variety of egg and omelette dishes, quiche, breakfast sandwiches, French toast, pancakes and waffles.

What makes Coral Gables different from other brunch places in East Lansing is its Sunday breakfast buffet, open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at a flat price of $9.95. The buffet includes scrambled eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit and more.

Prices for individual items range from $1.30 to $14.95.

Share and discuss “Brunched over” on social media.