Sunday, October 27, 2024

ASMSU looking to create research grant program for students

The ASMSU Finance Committee approved an allocation of $5,000 from the undergraduate student government’s Special Projects fund to go toward a research grant for undergraduate students at its most recent meeting.

The grant would help students fund their trip to a conference, educational workshop or scholarly competition.

“This is an opportunity (for students) to get funding from (ASMSU) to present their research at conferences,” ASMSU Vice President for Special Projects Abbie Newton said.

The Research Interest Board is meant to alleviate the economic pressure that comes with enhancing educational experiences. Undergraduate students do not have many opportunities for sponsorships or grants to attend or present at research conferences, Newton said.

ASMSU Vice President for Finance and Operations Michael Mozina, said the establishment of an undergraduate research grant is a great way of giving back to students, adding that such grants have been successful in other student governments, like the Council of Graduate Students, or COGS.

“Especially for engineering majors, I feel this grant will be very beneficial,” said Christopher Baldwin, ASMSU College of Engineering representative and a mechanical engineering senior.

If passed at the next general assembly meeting, the spring semester will serve as a pilot trial. There will be two deadlines each semester to give students more opportunities to apply for the grant, especially since conferences tend to be spread throughout the academic year, Newton said.

Deadlines for the fall semester will be on the first Friday of September and on the third Friday of October. For the spring semester, deadlines will be on the third Friday of January and the first Friday of March. Students will also get an opportunity to apply during the summer semester on the first Friday in June.

Newton said $2,500 will be allocated for each deadline in the semester. Each student will be awarded $250 and can only get funding once a year. Students must have a minimum of 2.75 GPA.

Applications will be reviewed and approved by the Finance Committee, Newton said, adding the goal is to eventually have a separate board to oversee the applications for the grant.

Grants will be awarded through a lottery system, but Newton said ASMSU still is looking at other models they could use as well.

Share and discuss “ASMSU looking to create research grant program for students” on social media.