Friday, May 3, 2024

Artist in residence program beneficial

<p>Jazz studies professor Michael Dease leads the band Friday at the concert to celebrate the launch of the new <span class="caps">MSU</span> College of Music jazz studies artist in residence program. The <span class="caps">MSU</span> Federal Credit Union donated a $1 million gift to launch the program. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

Jazz studies professor Michael Dease leads the band Friday at the concert to celebrate the launch of the new MSU College of Music jazz studies artist in residence program. The MSU Federal Credit Union donated a $1 million gift to launch the program. Margaux Forster/The State News

The MSU College of Music is aiming to expand and promote music with a new jazz studies artist in residence program, which ran Oct 14-19 and will continue four times a year.

The MSU Federal Credit Union, which provided the largest-ever investment in the college’s curriculum— $1 million — made the program a possibility.

The program gives a small group of jazz students the opportunity to travel across Michigan and perform with successful and influential jazz artists — which Rodney Whitaker, director of jazz studies, said teaches much more than just jazz.

“This program gives the students a real-life scenario,” Whitaker said. “This allows them to get the experience of what it’s like to really be on the road and enables them to experience and perform in different communities much different than where they’re from.”

The first jazz artist of three scheduled for residence this year was saxophonist Antonio Hart, who worked with and toured the state with students from MSU’s premier student jazz ensemble class, Jazz Orchestra I.

The program traveled with Hart to diverse places across the state, ranging from Byron Center to Holland to MSU’s campus.

Whitaker said the faculty in the College of Music very carefully select the musicians who participate in this program to ensure students have a positive role model that will not just teach music, but also encourage integrity.

“He’s just a model citizen and that’s what we try to do, not just bring people who are famous, but people who will be positive influences on our students and show them that you don’t have to be a drunkard or drug addict to be a musician,” Whitaker said.

As an experienced musician and professor of jazz saxophone at Queens College, Hart said his intent is not to just teach the students, but inspire them as well.

“I don’t think I can teach anyone anything,” Hart said. “I tried to show them someone who’s dedicated, someone who’s still driven and passionate about what they do and answer any questions they may have.”

Hart has toured and taught internationally, but said he finds the most joy in teaching right at home.

Hart and MSU’s Jazz Orchestra I class performed at the Union Ballroom Friday night, playing original ballads by Hart that included “Stars from Alabama,” “Like My Own,” and “Down and Up.”

Whitaker said the program has thus far been very successful, benefiting more than the 22 MSU students involved.

“We get to go into these communities and change the community,” Whitaker said. “We help them build jazz culture and in all the programs, they get to keep the proceeds from the concert and use it toward their music program.”

“So, we’re bringing cultural diversity, in some instances racial diversity, also we’re doing economic empowerment, so this is just a positive thing all around,” he said.

Jazz studies senior and Jazz Orchestra I baritone saxophone player Len’I Glenn-McKinney said she is grateful for the program.

“This program has really just opened up the world of jazz to me and not just jazz alone, but it has also taught me about discipline, community, love, tradition and family,” McKinney said.

Other international jazz artists slated to hold residencies at MSU this upcoming academic year are trumpeter Jon Faddis in December and drummer Jeff Hamilton in April.

Share and discuss “Artist in residence program beneficial” on social media.