Sunday, October 27, 2024

Campaign to bolster MSU running into problems

<p>Nolly Dakroury/The State News </p>

Nolly Dakroury/The State News

The mystery behind the “WTF MSU” campaign that has been puzzling students for the past week was solved Friday after ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, announced its involvement after allegations of vandalism on campus.

“WTF stands for “What To Fix?” and is a social media marketing campaign letting students voice their issues and to help them solve common problems around campus,” ASMSU Public Relations Director Matt Franks said.

The student government released a statement saying MSU officials notified them the campaign was targeted by vandals, who used real paint instead of the washable chalk paint to copy the campaign’s initials used by ASMSU throughout campus.

The campaign had been using washable chalk paint and chalk to stencil initials on sidewalks. The campaign still is expected to launch Tuesday.

WTF stands for “What To Fix?” and is a social media marketing campaign letting students voice their issues and to help them solve common problems around campus,” ASMSU Public Relations Director Matt Franks said.

In a statement from the university, MSU officials said the student government will cover the clean-up costs. Franks said ASMSU offered to cover the costs, but there still is no cost estimate.

The organization plans to work with Landscape Services to determine clean-up costs.

He said ASMSU officials met right away with university and police to explain the campaign is supposed to better students’ experiences on campus and does not pose any threat to students.

In the statement, university spokesman Kent Cassella said members of the MSU community expressed their concern about the matter, leading the police to conduct an investigation into potential vandalism associated with it.

Franks said once students began voicing their concerns through the WTF MSU campaign, the idea was that ASMSU would be a liaison connecting students with resources. Suggestions eventually could lead to policies and bills the general assembly could vote on.

He said it could allow better student representation because few students get the opportunity to sit in on ASMSU meetings.

He added the student government also was encouraged to start the campaign after it showed success in other universities, such as Purdue University and the University of Maryland.

Franks said ASMSU’s intent was to remain anonymous for a period of time after the launch of the campaign to build momentum, adding he was disappointed someone associated the student government’s positive and engaging campaign with vandalism.

Franks said ASMSU took the lead on the campaign without waiting on a general assembly vote because a lot of marketing initiatives are not voted on by representatives. He added it is mainly the ASMSU Office of the President who makes such decisions.

Preveterinary sophomore Paige Farnstorm thought the campaign was a good idea.

“I think that it’s the best way to (ask students for their input), through Twitter and Facebook, since everyone uses them,” she said.

The campaign already has about 500 followers on Twitter, with students tweeting some issues they are facing, such as not having Combo X-change during weekends and not having access to enough bicycle racks.

Share and discuss “Campaign to bolster MSU running into problems ” on social media.