Sunday, October 27, 2024

ASMSU approves $500 sponsorship for sexual assault awareness event

ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, passed a bill Thursday night allowing the student government to sponsor the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event. ASMSU will allocate $500 for the event, which is hosted by the MSU Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils on Oct. 5.

“Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council are an important part of ASMSU, they’re always sitting in on our general assemblies, so it’s important that we support them,” said Teresa Bitner, vice president for internal administration.

The event is aimed at raising awareness in the East Lansing community to put an end to rape, sexual assault and gender violence. Men would have to walk for one mile around the area of Linden Street and M.A.C. Avenue in heels, which would be provided at the event.

The event costs $7 per participant and $10 if a woman chooses to sponsor a man.

“Sexual assault is definitely something that is needed to be spread awareness about,” said Stephanie Rodriguez, vice president for internal relations for the Panhellenic Council. “We’re trying to incorporate the entire MSU community.”

Rodriguez said the revenue of the event will go towards the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, whose philanthropy is to raise awareness about sexual assault.

Share and discuss “ASMSU approves $500 sponsorship for sexual assault awareness event” on social media.