Sunday, October 6, 2024

Comedian Aziz Ansari engages full audience

<p>Photo courtesy of Aziz Ansari.</p>

Photo courtesy of Aziz Ansari.

Almost every seat was filled on Friday night when comedian and actor Aziz Ansari performed at the Wharton Center.

The “Parks and Recreation” star was brought by the Residence Halls Association, or RHA.

The show sold out the about 2,300 seats, with 2,000 of those seats filled by students, Russell James, director of special events for RHA, said. Tickets were available to students for $20 and $30 for the public.

“I’m super appreciative when colleges bring me out,” said Ansari during the show.

Ansari’s set focused primarily on the quirks of relationships and the impact technology has on budding romances.

Ansari implemented audience interaction into his set, calling upon several audience members.

He took one audience member’s phone in a set about first texts and, with his permission, read all of his text messages out loud. At one point, the phone died and Ansari found a charger just to continue the gimmick.

Audience members were wholeheartedly engaged and became invested in the show.

Ansari also accepted requests from audience members where they would suggest a topic that he had not spoken on before and then would improvise on it. In this show, the topic was ex-girlfriends.

Sonam Sethi, a history, philosophy and sociology of science junior, was chosen by Ansari to act out a hypothetical text conversation.

“That made my heart beat so fast because I was thinking on the spot,” Sethi said afterward.

Sethi said she also appreciated that he didn’t perform old material that she already saw on YouTube and incorporated improvisational work.

Up-and-coming comedian Josh Rabinowitz opened for Ansari, using a self-deprecating style of humor.

“Basically, I’m a collage of the least sexy moments in a man’s life,” Rabinowitz said during his stand-up.

Alwin David, Lyman Briggs freshman, said his favorite aspect of the show was how Ansari made his act relatable to students.

“It was really funny, he had everyone (laughing) in the crowd,” David said. “Everything he talked about was different aspects of college life (and) everything he talked about was all the different things everyone has done.”

Ansari left the audience with a standing ovation.

Share and discuss “Comedian Aziz Ansari engages full audience” on social media.