Garner to forego senior year, signs with Chicago Cubs

<p>Sophomore pitcher David Garner winds up to pitch on Sunday afternoon May 13, 2012 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans came out on top after they defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes in a 7-3. </p>

Sophomore pitcher David Garner winds up to pitch on Sunday afternoon May 13, 2012 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans came out on top after they defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes in a 7-3.

Photo by Derek Berggren | and Natalie Kolb The State News

MSU junior pitcher David Garner decided to forego his senior year and sign a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs on Thursday, according to the MSU athletic department.

Garner was a seventh round pick (No. 198 overall) in the 2013 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, becoming the fourth Spartan player or incoming prospect, respectfully, to sign with a professional team.

Garner is 15-12 in his three seasons at MSU, which includes 33 starts where he compiled a 3.97 ERA. Garner ranks sixth all-time at MSU in strikeouts with 192.

The terms of the contract have not been disclosed but, according to MSU, the draft slot averages a pay day of close to $200,000.

Additionally, RHP pitcher Andrew Waszak, who was selected in the 22nd round, signed with the Atlanta Braves and will report to the organization later this summer. Waszak was a senior on the 2013 Spartans and finished with a 6-3 record as the ace of the pitching staff.

But it wasn’t just members of the current team to sign with a professional club.

On Monday, the Baltimore Orioles reached a deal with Jonah Heim from Amherst (N.Y.) High School. Heim, who was an incoming MSU catcher, was a fourth round pick in the draft (No. 129 overall).

In addition, incoming Jackson Community College transfer Blake Higgins reached a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals last week. The right-handed pitcher was drafted in the 16th round (No. 485 overall) by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Share and discuss “Garner to forego senior year, signs with Chicago Cubs” on social media.