MSU baseball season ends despite wins at PSU

The MSU baseball team’s season came to a disappointing end despite winning its final Big Ten series against Penn State this weekend.

Coming into the series, MSU was seventh in the Big Ten standings behind Michigan and Illinois. With the top six teams receiving a bid to the Big Ten Tournament, MSU hoped to sneak in with a sweep of Penn State.

By dropping the second game of the series, MSU left the fate of their playoff berth to the outcomes of the aforementioned teams.

Both Michigan and Illinois won their final series to secure their spots in the Big Ten Tournament.
This marks the first time the Spartans were unable to reach the Big Ten Tournament since 2010.

“It’s very disappointing,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said in a press release. “We didn’t take care of business when we needed to, and that’s the result we get.”

The Spartans finished with a winning percentage of .571 against Big Ten play, the second-highest winning percentage under Boss.

MSU started the series off with a win, beating Penn State 16-1.

Senior pitcher Andrew Waszak earned his sixth win of the season and allowed six hits in seven innings.

MSU did not fare as well in the second game of the series, falling 9-0 to the Nittany Lions.
Junior pitcher David Garner earned his fifth loss of the season. Garner pitched only 2 2/3 innings while giving up six runs on 11 hits.

In the series finale, the Spartans fought back in the ninth, scoring two runs to top Penn State, 2-1.
Sophomore Mick VanVossen pitched a beauty in the final games, going eight innings and allowing only one run on four hits.

“Give our guys credit for battling back today and at least giving ourselves a shot,” Boss said.
“At the end of the day, we left it in somebody else’s hands.”

Share and discuss “MSU baseball season ends despite wins at PSU ” on social media.