Sunday, October 6, 2024

Step into spring

Head into spring looking your best with this spring's top fashion trends

With every new season, there lies the anticipation of clothing lines to come. As the spring Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week comes to a close, fashion-hunters across the United States are left wondering, waiting for their new favorite collections to hit stores.

Each season has its own set of trends, and this spring is no exception. Out of dozens of runway shows and ready-to-wear collections, here are some of the most prominent, wearable trends to expect from designers for the spring.

For the girls:

1. Stripes: The looks of the Spring Fashion Week are channeling Gwen Stefani’s jailbird stripes in her music video for “The Sweet Escape.” Designers such as Tommy Hilfiger reached beyond the realm of black-and-white into more nautical shades of sky blue and red. Those looking for the ultimate risk can mix stripe directions with separates.
On the runway: Oscar de la Renta, J. Crew

2. Cutouts: Although the trend has shown some popularity since 2012, it is becoming more prominent on the runways in ready-to-wear dresses. Once considered more of a casual style, designers now are incorporating them into their evening wear as well, often accompanied by jewel tones and lace. Cut-out backs typically are flattering, but beware — any cutout that is too large on the sides could create the illusion of love handles, even on the thinnest of girls.
On the runway: Michael Kors

3. Fit-and-flare: This vintage style has made a comeback in recent weeks. Whether it’s sported sleeveless or with Jackie O-esque cap sleeves, the fitted top and billowing skirt of the dresses are bringing the spring vibe forward. Rather than sticking with a modest length, however, fit-and-flare styles typically have a shorter skirt, making for more of a baby doll look.
On the runway: Dolce and Gabbana

For the boys:

4. Blazers and shorts: The pairing of blazers and shorts, though once considered dowdy, have made their way into several spring collections. But instead of the typical length for shorts, hems are hitting about an inch above the knee, in a Tyler the Creator-like style. To make the look less formal, roll up the blazer sleeves and layer a patterned button-down shirt underneath. Blazers should be more of an earth tone, such as forest green or khaki, rather than black.
On the runway: Tommy Hilfiger

5. Knitwear: Typically a staple amid the tundra of MSU’s campus in the winter, all things knit are expected to carry over to the spring as well. Think the cable-knit, half-button down sweaters of Abercrombie and Fitch taken to the next level. Elbow patches will become more widespread as well, most likely in shades of gray and brown.
On the runway: Maison Martin Margiela

6. Military: Menswear has become more structured and utilitarian with this trend. With lightweight military jackets in the foreground this spring, cargo pants and dress boots complement the look. For those willing to go all-out, army prints have made a comeback in understated ways, such as socks and umbrellas.
On the runway: Balmain, Calvin Klein

Share and discuss “Step into spring” on social media.