Sunday, October 27, 2024

Group studying improves grades

<p>From left, business junior Erica Sherwood, marketing senior Kaitlin Flannery, hospitality business freshman Eddie Wicks and hospitality business sophomore Evan Smith talk about their group project on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013 at the Main Library.  Their project was for their HB 265 class.</p>

From left, business junior Erica Sherwood, marketing senior Kaitlin Flannery, hospitality business freshman Eddie Wicks and hospitality business sophomore Evan Smith talk about their group project on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013 at the Main Library. Their project was for their HB 265 class.

When studying for that final economics exam, students might benefit from studying in groups, according to a recent study done the by University of California, San Diego.

The research found students who study together and interact online are more likely to be successful in classes. In about 80,000 interactions between 290 students, researchers found a correlation between more online communication and better grades.

“High achievers” were more likely to team up and avoid “low-performing” students, according to the study. The leftover students were more likely to have weaker grades and drop the class.

Mathematics professor Gabriel Nagy said he encourages students to work on homework in groups, especially with friends.

“They can discuss ideas if the group is homogeneous in the sense that not one is shy and the group is always talking,” Nagy said.

The Main Library has study rooms and tables for groups to meet and work on class assignments, said Ruth Ann Jones, public relations and marketing coordinator for MSU Libraries. It also has collaborative technology labs, most containing a computer and SMART Board. Some of the labs allow students to film themselves as they prepare for presentations, she said. Other labs have larger monitors for two students to work together.

The State News caught up with MSU students to find out how they study best.

Is it beneficial for you to study in a group, and what are some issues you might have?

Share and discuss “Group studying improves grades” on social media.