Friday, September 20, 2024

Congress must prove value in coming years

What do traffic jams, cockroaches and Nickelback all have in common? Unfortunately for the members of Congress, the answer isn’t something to be proud of.

A recent national poll conducted this month by Public Policy Polling found Nickelback to be just one of the many items from a list of 26 things people prefer more than Congress.

The poll found Congress has a 9 percent favorability rating, with 85 percent of voters viewing it negatively. This figure is slightly lower compared to the current national approval ratings collected, which has Congress coming in three points higher at 12 percent.

But as crazy of an idea as it might seem that voters from across the country preferred things such as Brussels sprouts and colonoscopies to our nation’s leaders, when considering the year Congress has had, their rational becomes a bit more clear.

During the past two years, the word Congress almost has become a synonym for incompetence.

Every two years, elections are held with the goal of finding capable leaders to make decisions for this country, always yielding the same unfortunate result in the end. And although the outcry of criticism Congress receives from dissatisfied Americans would seem like enough to motivate our leaders, little change ever seems to come about.

This incompetence and inability to come together was observed on numerous occasions this past year. Consider how Congress handled the crisis surrounding the fiscal cliff.

Despite knowing about the problem for more than a year and a half, Congress still was past deadline on coming to a compromise to combat the fiscal cliff. Even more, the agreement formed was temporary, and Congress simply seemed to kick the can further down the road to avoid any more ridicule.

Also consider the scrutiny Congress received for their handling of relief for the areas impacted by Superstorm Sandy.

As days passed with little aid being delivered, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie openly complained about the inefficiency of the group. Christie also insulted Speaker John Boehner, who reportedly wouldn’t return calls from the governor when talk of additional aid was being discussed.

Despite the challenging year Congress has faced, there still is reason to be optimistic.

As our country looks onward to the future, following the celebration of President Barack Obama’s second inauguration, there still is reason to believe more compromise and change is on the horizon.

Regardless of political ties, the members of Congress should view these next two years as a chance to re-evaluate the problems that separated them as a whole. Instead of pushing for secret agendas and party-first ideals, our elected leaders should once again work to satisfy their constituents’ needs.

Instead of being remembered as being a part of a group of inefficient political pundits, members of Congress should use these next few years as a chance to erase the mistakes of their past, and look forward to the betterment of their country.

After all, when things like Nickelback have a higher approval rating, it’s not like things can get much worse.

Share and discuss “Congress must prove value in coming years ” on social media.