Spartans stunned by late field goal, fall to No. 23 Wolverines 12-10

<p>Junior linebacker Max Bullough tackles Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson in the first half. Michigan defeated Michigan State, 12-10, on Saturday afternoon, Oct. 20, 2012, at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Junior linebacker Max Bullough tackles Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson in the first half. Michigan defeated Michigan State, 12-10, on Saturday afternoon, Oct. 20, 2012, at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. Justin Wan/The State News

Ann Arbor, Mich. — Starting at their own 9-yard line, unable to move the ball all game, and facing a 9-7 deficit midway through the fourth quarter, the challenge facing MSU’s offense appeared daunting.

When sophomore punter Mike Sadler took the field on fourth down, the odds seemed even greater.

But a fake punt allowed Sadler to scamper 26 yards to give the Spartans a first down near midfield.

The fake helped MSU take a 10-9 lead after senior kicker Dan Conroy hit a 19-yard field goal, and it seemed as if the Spartans had stolen a victory in Ann Arbor.

But a 20-yard pass by senior quarterback Denard Robinson to junior receiver Drew Dileo set up a 38-yard game winning field goal to help the University of Michigan football team (5-2 overall, 3-0 Big Ten) avoid an upset, knocking off MSU (4-4, 1-3) 12-10 for the Wolverines’ first victory over MSU in five years.

The Wolverines used a 38-yard run by junior running back Fitzgerald Toussaint and a 35-yard reception by Dileo to set up two first half field goals and take a 6-0 lead into halftime.

MSU scored first in the second half when junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell found redshirt freshman tight end Paul Lang in the end zone for a 2-yard touchdown pass on the Spartans’ first drive of the second half.

Maxwell finished the game completing 21-of-34 passes for 192 yards with a touchdown and an interception, and freshman receiver Aaron Burbridge led MSU’s receivers with six catches for 51 yards.

U-M senior quarterback Denard Robinson struggled to throw the football, completing 14-of-29 passes for 163 yards with an interception.

Share and discuss “Spartans stunned by late field goal, fall to No. 23 Wolverines 12-10” on social media.