Spartans stunned by Indiana, trail 27-14 at halftime

Bloomington, Ind. — It was a first half unlike any other this season for the MSU football team (3-2 overall, 0-1 Big Ten), as the Indiana Hoosiers (2-2, 0-1) left the field to raucous cheers, leading the Spartans 27-14.

Indiana ran roughshod against MSU’s heralded defense, scoring their first touchdown a little more than a minute into the game, before jumping out to a 17-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

MSU struggled to keep up with Indiana’s fast-paced passing game, led by sophomore quarterback Cameron Coffman, who completed 23-of-30 passes for 256 yards and three touchdowns.

After a sluggish first quarter quarter where MSU’s offense managed just 22 yards, junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell started to heat up, and the offense kicked into gear.

After completing 4-of-8 passes for nine yards in the first quarter, Maxwell led the Spartans on two touchdown scoring drives, completing 7-of-8 passes in the second quarter for 104 yards.

Maxwell found senior running back Larry Caper for a 15-yard touchdown pass, and junior running back Le’Veon Bell ran in a touchdown from two yards out for the Spartans two scores.

Bell finished the half with 13 carries for 52 rushing yards and a touchdown.

It is the first time Oct. 29, 2009 that Indiana has led a game at halftime, but trailing after two quarters is nothing new for the Spartans, who only have led one game at halftime this season.

Share and discuss “Spartans stunned by Indiana, trail 27-14 at halftime” on social media.