ASMSU plans election season viewing party

The election season was one of the primary topics discussed by ASMSU’s biweekly Policy Committee, which met Thursday to discuss plans to engage the student body in both local and national elections.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

Vice President of Governmental Affairs Dylan Miller led the discussion, which included ASMSU’s plans to have debate-watching parties for undergraduate students, making local debates accessible for students and upcoming voter registration events.

Miller said students can look forward to watching two out of three televised presidential debates.

He said the viewing party, complete with food and discussion with experts following the debate, will take place on Oct. 3 and Oct. 16. He said the viewings most likely would take place in the Union, although several other locations also were discussed.

Miller also announced that ASMSU will co-sponsor a nonpartisan forum with the League of Women Voters of the Lansing Area for the candidates of the 69th State House of Representatives, 30th Circuit Court and the 54B District Court judge.

Students also will have a chance to get to know the candidates for the future judge of 54B District Court, which handles most MSU student cases, with an on-campus debate Oct. 18. “(The forum is) because that (position) is such an integral position for students,” Miller said. “That will be highly student-focused.”

Vice President for Internal Affairs Denzel McCampbell said this is an especially important race for students because any cases involving medical amnesty will be handled by that judge.

Medical amnesty is a newly passed law that allows intoxicated minors to call for medical attention without being penalized with a minor in possession charge, or MIP. ASMSU had a large hand in helping push the policy forward.

“We want to make sure the candidates are really well versed in medical amnesty,” McCampbell said.
Further plans to encourage students to get involved in both local and national elections include an off-campus voter registration event next Friday and an on-campus voter registration event this Friday.

ASMSU adviser Cathy Neuman announced Secretary of State Ruth Johnson’s mobile office will visit campus Friday to help students register to vote and work out any concerns they might have.
Neuman is co-chair of YouVote, a nonpartisan initiative to help educate students so they know how to navigate the voting process.

Share and discuss “ASMSU plans election season viewing party” on social media.