Sunday, October 6, 2024

Lansing hosts Mich. Rock’n Brew

Members of funk and soul-influenced band Funktion pose for a promotional photo. The group will perform Sunday at the first-ever Michigan Rock'n Brew in Lansing. Courtesy Photo by Dean Schreuder

Beer lovers and music enthusiasts will come together in celebration this weekend at the first Michigan Rock’n Brew.

Michigan Rock’n Brew, which is scheduled to take place from noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Adado Riverfront Park, 901 N. Washington Ave., in Lansing, is a festival that showcases Michigan beer and music.

“We wanted something that would bring together this diverse group of people that we’ve got,” event coordinator Zak Taylor said. “We wanted to celebrate everything that’s great about Lansing and Michigan.”

The event will feature performances by about 25 bands — most of which are based in Michigan — and exclusively serve microbrew beers made at breweries throughout the state.

Jason Spaulding, owner of Brewery Vivant in Grand Rapids, said he is excited to be a part of an event that brings attention to local breweries such as his own.

“It’s great to have festivals like this that celebrate all the diversity of Michigan beer,” he said. “We love to support things like that.”

Spaulding said he will feature his company’s farmhouse brew, which is a cloudy beer with what Spaulding described as a bit of a funky taste.

“It’s particularly great in the summertime,” he said. “As hot as it is lately, it just seemed like a good beer to put out there. There are not many breweries that have a beer like this.”

After more than a year of planning, Taylor said he is excited to finally see the festival happen. It originally was scheduled to take place last summer in Williamston, Mich., but due to a dispute between the township and the landowners, the event was canceled.

“It actually ended up being a blessing in disguise,” Taylor said. “It allowed us to plan longer and to get bigger acts to come.”

Some of the headlining acts scheduled to perform throughout the weekend include rock bands Helmet and the Toadies, who both will play Sunday.

The opportunity to take the stage at the same event as these two well-known groups is one of the many things Jeremy Reisig said he is looking forward to.

Reisig, percussionist for Kalamazoo-based funk band Funktion, said he remembers listening to both the Toadies and Helmet during the 1990s when he was growing up, and he is eager to perform with them.

“Playing with bands that have been traveling the nation for a decade and have played overseas (and) just to be on bills like that is always an inspiration,” he said.

Tony DeNardo, who goes by Tony Muggs when performing, said he is excited to return to Lansing after about a two-year break from playing in the area.

Muggs, the bass player for Detroit-based blues and rock-inspired group the Muggs, said previous shows he has played in Lansing have had great turnouts, and he hopes when he performs Sunday, it will be reminiscent of those days.

“When we play Lansing, it’s always a great time,” he said. “Everyone comes out and supports us. Hopefully, we can get some kids out there even though school is not in.”

This weekend’s show will be the first time members of the Muggs have played at a festival-type function in Lansing, which is something Muggs said he is enthusiastic about doing because he loves the atmosphere of such events.

“Anytime you can have a festival and get out there with multiple bands and beers are flowing (with) some good food, it’s always a recipe for a good time,” he said.

Share and discuss “Lansing hosts Mich. Rock’n Brew” on social media.