MSU wrestler chases lifelong MMA dream

When the door closes behind Troy Lamson as he steps into a cage to battle his opponent, he transforms into an entirely different person.

The individual many of Lamson’s friends and family members know him as — a communication sophomore and member of the MSU wrestling team — becomes a competitor overcome by a desire to be victorious.

“If you’re good, you shut your mind off and you become a warrior,” he said. “If I was in that cage and I was winning the fight, I would punch the guy until he died if no one pulled me off him.”

Late last week, Lamson returned home from a monthlong training camp at Xtreme Couture MMA in Las Vegas at which he took classes and trained with Ultimate Fighting Championship, or UFC, fighters, including former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin.

“I’m practicing with the best people in the world,” Lamson said. “Me being a college athlete, it’s really beneficial for me, and it’s going to pay off in the long run.”

Lamson trains almost daily at Murcielago MMA, 1305 S. Cedar St., in Lansing. He typically works with trainer Joaquin Rodriguez, who helps him further develop his skills and prepare himself for competitions. During their training sessions, the pair works on boxing, jujitsu, weight training and conditioning, as well as other forms of martial arts.

“I sacrifice a lot of my social life because of how much I train,” Lamson said.

During the school year, Lamson is unable to compete because of his commitment to the wrestling team, but once the season is over, he fights with Total Warrior Combat, an up-and-coming, Lansing-based MMA promotion company.

Adam Molnar, owner of Total Warrior Combat, said MMA fighting is becoming more mainstream throughout the country, and many of his fighters are MSU students.

“It’s a great sport to be involved with,” Molnar said. “It’s something that people love to see no matter where you go. It’s going to be around for a long time.”

Rodriguez, who also has worked with many MSU wrestlers in the past, said Lamson has a unique talent, and his natural athletic ability combined with his strong will to succeed ensures he will be a successful fighter.

“He’s a phenomenal athlete, (and) he’s athletically gifted,” Rodriguez said.

After he graduates, Lamson has plans to make a living in the cage as a professional MMA fighter.
“I’ve been training my whole life for this, and I still have a lot more training to go,” he said. “Being able to compete out here with people in the big league, I feel very confident in where I am in my fighting game right now.”

Share and discuss “MSU wrestler chases lifelong MMA dream” on social media.