Alliance defines creativity with first-ever art exhibit

After becoming involved with the Alliance of Creative Students’ first-ever art exhibit, Toni Lee Ruggiano realized she can call herself an artist even though she never has painted a masterpiece or drawn like a professional.

The Residential College in the Arts and Humanities, or RCAH, and media arts and technology freshman submitted a poem to be featured in the organization’s exhibit, What is Creativity?

“At first, I thought (creativity) was only art, and I can only draw stick figures,” Ruggiano said. “I think my writing is a way to show you can be creative with words — not just images.”

The exhibit, which aims to create a more concrete definition of creativity, will open with a reception that will take place from 6-9 p.m. Thursday at the Technology Innovation Center, 325 E. Grand River Ave.

“We thought it would be a great end-of-the-year event for people to express their thoughts on the subject through their own medium,” said RCAH senior Kendra Shirey, who is a co-founder of the Alliance of Creative Students.

The exhibit will remain open for one week following the reception, which will include refreshments and performances by two musical acts.

Shirey said by hosting this event, members of the Alliance of Creative Students hope to help attendees realize that creativity can be more than just practicing art in the traditional sense.

“Our point is that creativity is everywhere,” she said. “Everyone is creative whether it’s how you get dressed or the music you listen to. There’s so many ways you can be creative.”

What is Creativity? will showcase a wide range of works, including several paintings, photographs, a sculpture and a video.

Ruggiano said this diverse display of art should engage event attendees and help them explore the exhibit’s theme more closely.

“We have a very unique and interesting answer to what is creativity,” she said. “I think it’s going to be something that people enjoy because it’s not all the same thing.”

Rather than submit a painting or drawing, Ruggiano decided to turn in a poem she wrote after her grandma died.

“I thought that’s how I was best able to answer the question because writing is my creative medium,” she said.

Professional writing senior Ezekiel Choffel said his involvement with the exhibit also helped him better define creativity.

“At first I thought (the theme) was super vague and pretty large in scope,” he said. “The more I started to think about it, I realized it wasn’t too vague.”

Choffel said he wrote a song for the event, which he plans to play Thursday night.

“It’s the best song that I’ve ever written, and it best sums up who I am and what I do when it comes to music,” he said.

Although he does not make traditional art, Choffel said he thought his music could be considered artistic.

“I defined that creativity for me is finding a balance of the chaos of life and playing music,” he said. “It’s one of the few times I can shut my brain off.”

Share and discuss “Alliance defines creativity with first-ever art exhibit” on social media.