Monday, October 7, 2024

Seasonal activities combat winter doldrums

Finance senior Max Wellinger ice skates with social science education senior Kelsey Loomis Friday at Munn Ice Arena. Open skate at Munn is one of the many winter activities you can enjoy right on campus. Derek Berggren/The State News

To many, wintertime means building snowmen, sledding and having snowball fights — unless you live in Michigan, where one day you’re scraping ice off your car, and the next you’re trudging through puddles of melted snow on your way to class. The winter season comes with plenty of entertaining activities, but with unpredictable weather, you might not get the chance to participate in them. To make the most of this time of year, try some indoor amusements that still make you feel as if you’re in a winter wonderland.

Hit the ice

Whether you’ve mastered advanced moves, such as a figure eight and a triple axel, or never have set foot on an ice rink, participating in an open skate session at Munn Ice Arena can be a fun and active way to occupy a winter day. The indoor ice rink is located right on campus, so you don’t have to worry about driving in dangerous weather conditions or walking too far in the cold if some snow does happen to fall.

Go with a group of friends, or if you have a special someone, take them on a date and impress them with your graceful moves.

The cost is $4 for those with a valid student ID and an additional $2 to rent skates. Session times vary based on the date, so make sure to check the schedule before heading over.

Take a tour

If you’re not the outdoors type and would rather spend your winter indoors, take a tour of one of Lansing’s most historic homes, the Turner-Dodge House, 100 E. North St., in Lansing, in which the Michigan pioneers who helped develop the Capitol City and the state once lived.

Escape the cold for a while by spending an afternoon in this cozy home, which offers many public tours, including the Tour and Tea in which participants can journey through the entire three-story home, and enjoy a warm cup of tea and other tasty treats.

This activity costs $8 per person, and reservations must be made ahead of time. Parties of eight guests or more are preferred, so bring your friends or classmates, too.

Head for the hills

On a day when it does end up snowing, take advantage of the rare occasion and partake in some classic winter pastimes.

Visit Burchfield Park, 881 Grovenburg Road, in Holt, Mich., which is Ingham County’s largest park, and make use of its two sledding hills. If you’re a newcomer to the sport, or simply prefer a more leisurely ride, stick to the children’s hill. But if you prefer something more fast-paced and thrilling, head over to the larger second hill for some fun.

Don’t worry if you don’t have any sledding equipment — you can rent snow tubes at the park for $1 per two-hour period.

If downhill sports are too adventurous for you, take your time exploring the 7 miles of groomed cross-country ski trails the park has available. Equipment is available to rent, but prices vary, so be sure to check the website first.

And once you’ve worn yourself out enjoying the chilly weather, warm up with a cup of hot chocolate or a bowl of soup in the snack bar.

Accessorize accordingly

Wintertime — regardless of the amount of snow on the ground — typically requires people to don a few extra articles of warm attire, such as hats, scarves and mittens, to keep from freezing.

Even if it’s not cold enough for snow, it usually still is not warm enough to walk around without additional layers. But don’t be caught wearing the same store-bought accessories as everyone else on campus.

Learn how to knit or crochet so you can make unique winter garments for yourself. If you have a friend or relative who has mastered these techniques, ask them to teach you. If you don’t, Woven Art, 325B Grove St., offers various knitting and crocheting classes and workshops for all skills levels, and it has a wide selection of yarns to choose from, ensuring your creation will be one-of-a-kind.

Share and discuss “Seasonal activities combat winter doldrums” on social media.