Saturday, October 26, 2024

Student cleans bathrooms for cash

Biological science sophomore Kelly Williams began running his own dorm bathroom cleaning service this fall. The video gets and up close and personal look at his daily routine cleaning bathrooms for students with suite style rooms.

With the combination of questionable toilet stains, clumps of hair in the shower and trash cans overflowing onto the floor, cleaning the bathroom can be a constant source of stress for students with suite-style dorm rooms. But for premedical sophomore Kelly Williams, cleaning these messes is a challenge he welcomes.

For $12, Williams will clean an entire student bathroom. He runs his own personal bathroom cleaning service, which he officially started this fall in an attempt not only to make money but also to relieve tension between suitemates.

“You may have one person in a room who is extremely neat and tidies up every day, and you have another who’s not as neat or doesn’t have the time to clean,” Williams said. “It can be frustrating for people, especially since it’s flu season and people want to eliminate germs.”

Williams said the job came naturally to him — he has worked part time as a janitor since the age of 13 and takes pride in his employment.

Although Williams picked up a job in the cafeterias in the River Trail Neighborhood in the fall, he found he made more money in his previous job as janitor and decided to go back to his old trade.

“It’s just something that I’ve always known how to do well,” Williams said.

Williams’ service includes cleaning bathroom surfaces, such as the toilet, shower, cabinets and shelves. He also scrubs the floor thoroughly, empties the trash, and said in a couple dorms, he even has been asked to scrub vandalism off the walls.

He has about 10 regular clients per week who are both referrals from friends and new clients acquired with advertising.

Education freshman Sarah Mammen , one of Williams’ clients, said she approves of Williams’ work.

“He usually does a pretty good job,” Mammen said. “He always gets out the bad stains we get in our bathroom.”

Mammen heard about Williams’ work through a friend and said she hired him to remove seemingly impossible stains from their toilet and floor.

Having cleaned more than 50 bathrooms in his line of work, Williams said he has come across the dirtiest and even most dangerous bathroom.

“You know what to expect, but at the same time, you don’t know what to expect,” Williams said. “I’ve been to a couple places that have thumbtacks all over the floor, and I feel like by cleaning them up I’ve prevented injury.”

Williams said he is taking steps to improve his business and plans to invest in environmentally friendly techniques such as steam cleaners which melt germs without the use of harmful chemicals. He currently is working with chemistry professor James Jackson to make his business as green as possible.

Biological science sophomore Joshua Jackson, Williams’ friend who helps him clean bathrooms and schedule appointments, said they will do whatever they can to keep the positive feedback and improvements rolling.

“I’ve helped out with twenty different dorms, and they’ve liked our service,” Joshua Jackson said. “We definitely plan on making it even better than it is now.”

Williams said he has gotten nothing but positive feedback from his clients.

“Everyone is usually pretty grateful because twenty minutes beforehand, their bathroom looked terrible,” Williams said.

Share and discuss “Student cleans bathrooms for cash” on social media.