Saturday, October 26, 2024

Students react to campout cancellation

The Spartans have conquered numerous opponents in the past years, but this weekend, they couldn’t beat the elements.

Chilly winds, gray clouds and spitting rain hung over East Lansing and Munn Field on Friday morning as Intramural Sports, Student Alumni Foundation, or SAF, and basketball representatives held an emergency meeting to decide the fate of one of MSU’s most famed sports traditions.

The Izzone Campout is an annual event where MSU Men’s Basketball ticket holders spend the night on Munn Field with the hope of getting placed in the selective lower bowl, or “Izzone,” section.

Ultimately, an email was sent out just before noon notifying ticketholders of the event’s cancellation.

There will be an event the evening of Oct. 25 to show support for the team, according to the email.

When Munn Field was surveyed Friday morning, representatives found water pooling on an already torn-up field, leading some of the Intramural Sports representatives to worry about the condition of the field for fall sports use, said Brian Nekic, SAF’s Vice President of Sports Operations and coordinator of the Izzone section.

“It was a tough decision. You never want to cancel something that’s tradition,” Nekic said. “(But) looking at the long run of things, I still think it was the right decision.”

Nekic said the combination of forecasted precipitation, high winds and cold weather created for a more dangerous environment than in years past. Postponing wasn’t an option as the involved parties couldn’t find a date that worked for all the organizers.

“If it was just raining, it would have been fine; if it were just cold, it would have been fine,” Nekic said.

“It was the perfect storm, essentially, to cancel an event.”

The cancellation left some student basketball fans sorely disappointed.

“I was kind of shocked,” said media and information sophomore Andrew Orlando, who had planned to camp out through the night on Munn Field with six other friends. “I had heard of them camping out in more powerful weather.”

The SAF office initially received about 20 calls from bewildered, upset and in some cases, relieved students who were happy they didn’t have to camp out in dangerous weather, Nekic said.

Communicative sciences and disorders junior Samantha Kliman, who planned to camp out at the event, said she was especially disappointed about the cancellation as it likely would have been the last time senior players got to interact with the fans before the season’s end.

“The campout is the only time that (fans) get to really talk to Izzo and the players during the year,” Kliman said. “That’s the disappointing part of it.”

Share and discuss “Students react to campout cancellation ” on social media.