Friday, May 3, 2024

Face time with Jake Boss Jr.

Boss Jr.

After one of the most successful seasons in MSU baseball history, Jake Boss Jr. is hungry for more.

Coming off a year where the program won its first Big Ten championship since 1979 with a team that had six All-Big Ten First Team selections, Boss and his team were back on the field this month for fall practice. Although he lost three of the most decorated players in the history of the program (Jeff Holm, Kurt Wunderlich and Brandon Eckerle), Boss believes the team has potential to be even better in 2012.

The State News caught up with Boss earlier this month to discuss fall practice and the upcoming season.

State News: What was your assessment of fall practice? What have you liked?

Jake Boss Jr.: Well, I mean I think we have some talented players, talented young players. Obviously, we have some big shoes to fill after losing the Big Ten Player of the Year (Holm), the Big Ten Pitcher of the Year (Wunderlich) and the Big Ten Batting Champion (Eckerle). I mean, those are pretty big holes to fill. At the same time, I like some of the young guys we have — I like a lot of the young guys we have. As they continue to grow and mature, they’re only going to get better and we’re excited about it.

SN: How nice has it been to get back on the ball field for fall practice and see how your team looks?

JB: We were really excited to start fall practice. When you have All-Big Ten First Team guys coming back like Torsten Boss, Ryan Jones and Tony Bucciferro, their talent and leadership alone is something that gets you fired up and excited. Combine that with the talent that is coming in and the returning guys and seeing how much better that they’ve got after having really good summers all over the country, I don’t know that I’ve ever been as excited for a fall practice season to start as we were this year.

SN: Along with losing Holm, Wunderlich and Eckerle to the MLB Draft, several of your freshmen (catcher Blaise Salter, first baseman/outfielder Ryan Krill and catcher/outfielder Jimmy Pickens) heard their names called in the draft as well. Were you concerned at all to lose any of them before they even played a game?

JB: Well, yeah. You’re always concerned about that. There’s always a chance. It’s every kid’s dream to be drafted and play pro ball, and we understood that. Those guys knew from our end if they went through the process and were offered the signing bonus money they were looking for, obviously they would have our blessing to go out and play pro ball. Thankfully for us, they decided to forego that professional opportunity for right now and come to Michigan State. It’s a good move on their part for a lot of different reasons. One, obviously first and foremost, they can get a good education, but it lets them mature a little more and grow a little more. As their bodies continue to grow, and they get accustomed to seeing better pitching, I think it really is going to improve their draft stock come their junior year when they’re eligible to be drafted again. I think it was a wise move on all of their parts.

Share and discuss “Face time with Jake Boss Jr.” on social media.