Saturday, October 26, 2024

Arts and Crafts show brings life to summer E.L., MSU

Summertime in East Lansing can seem quiet and uneventful compared to the fall and spring semesters.

With students returning home for the summer, the usually busy streets can seem desolate. But, some summertime events, such as the annual MSU Spring Arts and Crafts Show, bring life back to the city.

The 47th annual Spring Arts and Crafts Show will take place this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Union.

The show is presented by the University Activities Board, or UAB, and admission is free.

The show is one of Michigan’s largest arts and crafts show, UAB assistant manager Stephanie Bierlein said.

This year, it is expected to attract more than 20,000 people and there will be more than 300 vendors in attendance selling a variety of homemade items, Bierlein said.

Items for sale range from clothing, jewelry and handbags to paintings, photos and pottery. Other items for sale include: stained glass, quilts, handmade towels, books and picture frames.

“We have a very wide variety of stuff,” Bierlein said.

Artists come from all over to sell their items at the Union. This year, there will be many fresh faces at the show, she said.

There also will be many artists who have participated in the show for years. Bierlein said, between 30-40 percent of artists are returning artists.

Mariana Quick is among one of the show’s returning artists. Quick began selling her pressed botanical art at the show almost 20 years ago.

Quick said she enjoys coming to MSU’s show every year and usually does really well; she brings more than 100 pieces to sell and usually sells them all within a few hours.

“It is an excellent show, otherwise I wouldn’t do it,” Quick said.

Mark Taylor is another of the show’s returning artists. He has been selling his sterling silver jewelry at the Union for about 15 years.

Taylor sells rings, earrings, bracelets and pendants and usually sells between 50-70 pieces throughout the course of the weekend.

Taylor participates in arts and crafts shows professionally, visiting between 90-110 shows annually. Of the shows he has been to, Taylor said MSU’s is one of the best.

“We have a very big following at Michigan State,” Taylor said.

Jim Wood, an artist who has been selling copper garden art at MSU’s show for about 20 years, also said the show is one of the best he attends. He said it is among his top 10.

In addition to homemade crafts, there also will be a variety of food available at the show. The Spartan Signature Catering Food Tent, the MSU Dairy Store, Serranos and the Union Pizzeria all will be available to attendees.

Share and discuss “Arts and Crafts show brings life to summer E.L., MSU” on social media.