Monday, October 21, 2024

Dantonios hold women's clinic

<p>Women from all over the state came to <span class="caps">MSU</span> on Saturday for a day of football during the Spartan Football Women’s Clinic held at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. The proceeds of this year’s clinic will benefit Ele’s Place. </p>

Women from all over the state came to MSU on Saturday for a day of football during the Spartan Football Women’s Clinic held at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. The proceeds of this year’s clinic will benefit Ele’s Place.

Lining up next to MSU offensive linemen, receiving instruction from MSU coaches and getting an inside glimpse of the football program comprised some of the activities that women were able to participate in at the Spartan Football Women’s Clinic on Saturday.

The women heard presentations about blocking schemes and defensive pursuit — among other topics — before getting a chance to learn firsthand during drills with position coaches Saturday at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building, with proceeds from the event benefitting Ele’s Place, a healing center for grieving children that covers the Lansing area and beyond.

Participants said they enjoyed the event, while coordinators said the women might be able to catch their family members or friends off guard the next time they’re watching a football game.

“All in all, it’s a fun thing, it’s an educational thing, but more importantly, it’s a group of people coming together for a great cause,” said MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio, who hosted the clinic with his wife, Becky. “I think it’s a little unique for them maybe when they come home and maybe they can add a little different dimension in watching a game or maybe be a little more involved in watching a game.”

The roughly 220 participants began the clinic in a learning environment as they watched presentations on the offense, defense and special teams before heading to the indoor practice facility and participating in drills.

Offensive coordinator Dan Roushar and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi used game film from last season’s Big Ten championship run to demonstrate particular schemes and setups, and special teams coach Mike Tressel presented a video of key special teams plays from the season. The coaches didn’t hesitate to use humor when looking at particular plays or poking fun at other coaches.

At the practice facility, the women broke into groups and participated in a variety of stations where they received tips from current MSU players and coaches on how to pursue offensive players, block and pass, among other skills.

“We always get a lot of really positive feedback,” Becky Dantonio said. “Throughout the whole year, I’ll have people come up to me and talk about this clinic, and they picked up this or they picked up that, and they were able to talk to their husbands, and it’s really fun.”

Becky Dantonio said her husband’s personality has rubbed off on her a little bit and she enjoys watching the clinic. Becky Dantonio is used to her husband being the boss of the Spartans but said she enjoyed being a little bit of a boss Saturday.

“It’s kind of fun coming to work with him. I sort of act like I’m the boss a little bit, and I get to boss him around a little bit,” Becky Dantonio said. “I think my favorite part is these drills and watching these women running around and having fun and having a good time.”

The event began around 2 p.m. Saturday and lasted the rest of the afternoon, with the women learning a variety of terminology and playing techniques. Drills included tests of participants’ athleticism, strength and pass-catching skills, among other things.

Participants also posed for pictures with players and listened to players and coaches reflect on last season’s conference championship and did other activities. In addition to the Spartans’ assistant coaches being in attendance, several of their wives attended as well.

Participants said they learned a lot from the event and now have a better idea of what the players do on a daily basis.

“I think I have a new appreciation of what the players go through,” Colleen Anderson, mother of senior fullback Todd Anderson, said. “There’s a lot to it — more than the average spectator sees on the field.”

Share and discuss “Dantonios hold women's clinic” on social media.