Monday, October 7, 2024

Aziz Ansari entertains, delivers laughs at MSU

Okay, Aziz Ansari rocks my socks off.

To be honest, I didn’t know too much about the comedian who performed in Wharton Center’s Cobb Great Hall on Tuesday night. I knew that he was Amy Poehler’s sidekick in NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” and made me giggle a few times in “I Love You, Man.” But beyond that, I will admit to Wikipedia-ing Aziz Ansari before I walked into Wharton Center not really knowing what I was getting myself into.

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.

The average-looking 27-year-old, who dresses like a GQ model and jokes around like a high school freshman, walked on stage as if he’d been doing stand-up comedy since birth. Maybe it was because Ansari’s act was the first stand-up comedian I’ve seen, but I, creepily sitting by myself in a sea of people, chuckled quite a bit more than I had expected I would.

I pride myself in having a somewhat mature sense of humor. But even I couldn’t resist laughing as Ansari acted out love scenes with a bowl of macaroni, a doughnut, a burrito and cinnamon buns each within entirely different jokes. He joked about his Indian ethnicity just enough to be funny, but not boring, and his modesty only enhanced the tales of a failed love life and hysterical run-ins with the opposite sex.

He was catchy and original, timely and energetic, and had the masses of mostly MSU students roaring with laughter for the hour he performed.

Ansari came back on stage for a few minutes after the crowd encouraged his return and showed off his impromptu skills. He lightheartedly ripped on a guy and his girlfriend sitting in the front row who claimed to have met when the guy asked the girl if she wanted to see a magic trick. He then proceeded to re-enact a hilarious tale of how another front-row couple met at bar, which included protein shakes, awkward staring and very inappropriate language.

To top it off, he ended his act hysterically explaining why R. Kelly is the most amazing person alive. Ansari clearly knew the way to my heart.

I give Aziz Ansari and his “Dangerously Delicious Tour” two really big thumbs up.

Share and discuss “Aziz Ansari entertains, delivers laughs at MSU” on social media.