Friday, October 25, 2024

Political program aids students

An 18-year-old political training program founded by MSU will begin another year by introducing its 24 newest inductees at events Thursday and Friday.

Officials from the Michigan Political Leadership Program, or MPLP, said the group of 2010 fellows admitted to the program will be introduced at fundraising events in Grand Rapids and Livonia.

Former Michigan Govs. James Blanchard, a Democrat, and John Engler, a Republican, will speak at the MPLP fundraising events.

The MPLP, which operates under MSU’s Institute for Public Policy and Social Research, or IPPSR, offers fellowships valued at $12,000 apiece to 12 Republicans and 12 Democrats each year. Other political parties also are included, but less frequently.

Since its start in 1992, the program has graduated about 500 fellows, IPPSR director Doug Roberts said. He said the fellows are trained in areas such as media interviews and campaign laws.

“It’s one of the most unique programs in the country,” Roberts said.

Roberts said although the program was offered free of charge in the past by way of fundraising, the economy has affected available funding. There now is a $1,000 administrative fee for new fellows.

Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land said the MPLP is a way for people interested in seeking public office to be more involved in the process. Land said she has been on the MPLP’s advisory board for 10 years.

Land said the bipartisan nature of the program is important for training future elected officials, given the issues faced by the state.

“Even though we may disagree on how to get there, all of us want to have a great place to live and for our state to succeed,” Land said. “This is a great program for that.”

Steve Tobocman, co-director of the MPLP and a former Democratic state representative, said the fellows will spend much of the sessions discussing ethical government practices and Michigan’s future challenges.

The program runs for 10 months with sessions held on weekends statewide.

Tobocman said the fellows participated in their first session last weekend, and the new group has left him “truly inspired.”

“Given the kind of challenges we face as a state economically … this past weekend left me very hopeful about our future,” Tobocman said.

Jenell Hierholzer, one of the new fellows, said she enjoyed last week’s session and is anxious to delve further into the program. Hierholzer works as policy director for state Rep. Kevin Green, R-Wyoming.

“The sessions were very, very good,” Hierholzer said. “It’s going to be edifying for all of us.”

Share and discuss “Political program aids students” on social media.