Friday, October 25, 2024

American traditions get international feel

Deniz Ozen, 3, looks at the table as her mother, Elcin, a Humphrey Fellow from Turkey, reaches over her during the Visiting International Professional Program’s Thanksgiving Traditions Tuesday at University United Methodist Church, 1120 S. Harrison Road. The event brought international professionals together to learn about Thanksgiving and eat traditional Thanksgiving food, as well as food from different countries that participants brought to share.

Roasted turkey was coupled with fresh sushi rolls, and side dishes of mashed potatoes and gravy were just as popular as the lo mein.

With food like this, MSU’s Visiting International Professional Program’s, or VIPP, Thanksgiving Traditions on Tuesday night had all the American Thanksgiving traditions with an international flavor.

VIPP has been hosting the Thanksgiving celebration for almost 20 years as part of its American Culture Night series, which teaches international professionals at MSU about parts of American culture, VIPP Director Michael Miller said.

At the annual event, guests are invited to bring dishes of their home countries and are treated to a presentation about the significance of Thanksgiving in the United States, Miller said.

“It’s a good opportunity for them to get a good American — and especially Michigan — welcome,” he said. “While some of them may be at a host family’s for Thanksgiving dinner, a lot of them don’t get that opportunity. This is a chance for them to mingle with Americans and have the different foods we serve at the time.”

The night was the first Thanksgiving experience for urban planning professional program assistant Han Jin Cho, who originally is from South Korea.

South Korea has a holiday similar to Thanksgiving, Cho said, which is celebrated near the end of a harvest with a big feast among family members. Although he has observed similar holidays at home, Cho said he treasured the piece of American culture.

“I never expected to get a chance to have an American Thanksgiving like this,” he said. “We can enjoy with Korean, Chinese, American and wherever they come from to enjoy the day.”

Cho said he loved his first taste of the American holiday and said although he enjoyed turkey, it doesn’t compare to the Korean food his parents made for him on holidays back home.

“My mom made food for me, so I have my mommy’s taste,” he said.

Turkish-born Hasan Basol has been teaching Turkish in the U.S. since August and said his only taste of American cuisine has come from fast food restaurants.

Basol said he originally had trouble when he first came to America, but with the help of VIPP and events such as Thanksgiving Traditions, he’s been able to transition smoothly to his new country.

“When I first arrived I felt culture shock,” he said. “Sometimes I really feel as if I was at my home.”

Share and discuss “American traditions get international feel” on social media.