Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Bluesfest to rock Old Town

Stan Budzynski and his band 3rd Degree have had their fair share of the blues.

The recession has impacted some of the band’s latest songs, acting as inspiration to create music.

Their new song “Michigan Blues” profiles the hardships of the economy for the citizens of Michigan and the state’s ability to fight back, Budzynski said.

“We look at ourselves as the voice of the blues community,” slide guitarist Budzynski said. “I channel (my experiences) into the music. Blues is about hard times.”

Stan Budzynski and 3rd Degree will grace the stage at 6 p.m. Saturday for the Old Town BluesFest in Lansing.

But just because the economy has had better days doesn’t mean the group is down in the dumps.

“I think things are starting to get better,” Budzynski said. “I’m hoping 2010 will be a rebound (for us). People support the music but a lot of things have changed.”

In the last three years the band, which has been together for 11 years, has seen a significant shift in the amount of shows played yearly, dropping from 200 to 100 shows, said Budzynski, originally from Haslett.

Capital Area Blues Society President Toni Alexander said Stan Budzynski and 3rd Degree know what represents the community best.

“They have a connection to society,” Alexander said. “(The band members have) different economic statuses and focuses in their life that represent the citizens and they can relate.”

Despite an overall decrease in venues, the band has still found work. The band also will play in November on the Michigan Princess Blues Cruise.

Sharen Lange, Old Town BluesFest coordinator and publicity director, said the festival, which is on the corner of Grand River Avenue and Turner Street, highlights the great efforts that have gone into revitalizing the town for musical artists, while still maintaining the genuine feel of Old Town.

The festival will feature free admission with performances from 4 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Friday and 2 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

“In Lansing, there is a phenomenal wealth of amazing musicians and premier players who don’t have a chance to play as much as they used to,” Lange said. “(The festival) is growing and not many things are but we are. It’s pretty good for eclectic quality of life here.”

Lange said the band is full of polished premier musicians who are active in the blues society.

“There is a level above being a musician,” Lange said. “(The band is) promoting volunteering worthy of recognition, not just being a great band.”

Budzynski said he appreciates all the local fans who support the band and approach him to discuss their music.

“I look at (music) as a way to express myself, hopefully in a way other people will appreciate it too,” Budzynski said. “With original songs you can tell a slice of your life that other people can hopefully relate.”

Share and discuss “Bluesfest to rock Old Town” on social media.