Spartans extend winning streak to 5 games

Sophomore first baseman Jeff Holm tags out Western Michigan’s Kyle Galbraith as he dives for first base after leading too far off during Wednesday’s game at Oldsmobile Park in Lansing. The Spartans beat the Broncos 5-3.

Lansing — Head coach Jake Boss Jr. thought his MSU baseball team had the chance to build some momentum when the Spartans came north after its spring trip down south.

So far, so good.

The Spartans beat Western Michigan 5-3 on Wednesday afternoon at Oldsmobile Park, improving their record to 7-14 and extending their winning streak to five games.

“I think we’re starting to turn the corner,” said Boss, whose team started out 2-14. “I think guys are starting to get some confidence at the plate and baseball is such a mental game anyway that guys with confidence are dangerous hitters.”

The Spartans came out with confidence right away, getting on the board in the first inning when sophomore shortstop Jonathan Roof scored on a fielder’s choice.

Western Michigan (5-13) powered its way to the lead two innings later on back-to-back home runs over the left field wall by Kyle Galbraith and Pedro Dager to put the Broncos up 3-1.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Spartans tied the game with a two-out rally. Junior left fielder Bo Felt and sophomore catcher Seth Williams drilled back-to-back doubles in the gap to knock Broncos starter Casey Hall out of the game. Troy Forton came in to relieve Hall, but sophomore center fielder Brandon Eckerle hit a single up the middle to score Williams and tie the game at three.

MSU took the lead in the bottom of the sixth when Roof bunted Williams — who led off the inning with a walk — over to second. Junior right fielder Eli Boike followed with a line drive over the second baseman’s head to score Williams and give the Spartans the lead for good. Boike went 3-for-5 with an RBI on the day.

The Spartans picked up an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth when Roof, who had two hits, drove in junior second baseman Chris Roberts with a double to make the score 5-3.

The Broncos put runners on first and second with one out in the top of the ninth, but Felt fielded a single from Chris Lewis in left field and threw Jack Scanlon out at home as MSU held on.

“We talked about just executing and fundamentals and that was a fundamental play for an outfielder,” Boss said of Felt’s throw. “He did his job, our catcher did his job at blocking the plate and when you execute good things happen.”

Sophomore pitcher Kurt Wunderlich picked up the win in relief, allowing three hits in two and one-third innings, while senior pitcher Peter Wolff picked up his second consecutive save.

Felt said MSU’s winning streak heading into Big Ten play looks good on paper, but said the Spartans have to remember when they travel to Champaign, Ill. for a three-game set with Illinois beginning 7 p.m. Friday will be to simply play ball.

“I think it might look important, but it comes down to playing baseball,” Felt said. “Against Illinois, we have to play baseball. I mean it looks good, it feels good and winning’s a lot better than losing, but we just have to play baseball.”

Share and discuss “Spartans extend winning streak to 5 games” on social media.