Walk this way

MSU's Roberts didn't even need to swing his bat to send home the winning run

Senior second baseman Brandon Doherty acknowledges the throw from junior catcher Eric Roof that got out Ohio State third baseman Cory Rupert. Rupert was caught stealing in the top of the third inning of game one against OSU.

Lansing — In a game featuring two dominant pitching performances, it was an awkward ending to Sunday afternoon’s doubleheader between MSU (13-16 overall, 4-7 Big Ten) and Ohio State (18-11, 7-4).

In MSU’s 1-0 extra-inning win over the Buckeyes at Oldsmobile Park, senior Chris Cullen and Ohio State’s J.B. Shuck combined to allow just three hits through seven innings.

The MSU bats finally began to show life in the bottom of the eighth, as freshman outfielder Brandon Eckerle led off the bottom of the inning with a single. Eckerle wasn’t on the bases for long, as he was thrown out after freshman shortstop Jonathan Roof’s bunt went right back to pitcher Shuck.

After senior infielder Steve Gerstenberger drew a walk, senior outfielder Dennis Jones reached on a bunt down the third baseline that Shuck was unable to pick up cleanly, loading the bases with Spartans.

Alex Wimmers came in to relieve Shuck, who allowed four hits and struck out seven in 7 and 1/3 innings. Wimmers struck out junior pinch-hitter Eric Roof for the second out of the inning. He then walked sophomore right fielder Chris Roberts on four straight pitches to force home the game-winning run.

“That’s not the way it should have ended, definitely not the way,” said MSU head coach David Grewe. “I was disappointed to win like that and I’m sure they were disappointed to lose that way.”

Grewe said he was equally impressed with the performances by Shuck and Cullen, but was especially happy with Cullen, who pitched a two-hit complete game.

“I’m proud of him, so proud,” Grewe said. “For him to keep on competing during his senior year every single game, every single game, I just couldn’t ask for more.”

The Spartans dropped the first game 5-4, but despite the higher scores, both starters dominated early on, as MSU junior Mark Sorenson and Ohio State’s Dean Wolosiansky combined to allow just one hit through the first three innings.

The Ohio State bats were the first to emerge in the fourth inning, and after the first two Buckeye batters reached base on a single and a walk, Shuck attempted to move the runners up via sacrifice bunt.

Following two unsuccessful attempts, Shuck got the green light and drove an RBI single over the shortstop’s head to put the visitors on the board first.

Shuck’s single was just the beginning, as the middle of the order combined for three consecutive singles, and the Buckeyes jumped out to a 5-0 lead.

The Spartans kept chipping away, scoring one run apiece in the fourth and fifth innings, but really began to rally in the bottom of the sixth. With one out, Roof doubled down the left field line for the game’s only extra-base hit, and senior first baseman Evan Friedland reached on an error.

Eckerle followed with a single to bring home Roof, and pinch runner Jones scored on a foul ball by senior third baseman Gerstenberger in the next at bat to bring the score to 5-4.

Sophomore Scott Heitshusen locked down the Buckeyes in the top half of the seventh, striking out two, but MSU’s 3-4-5 hitters went down in order during the bottom half of the inning to end the game.

The Spartans also lost Friday’s game 4-3, the fifth loss by one-run, and Grewe said the one-run losses are taking a toll on his team.

“How many one-run games do we have to be in and not win?” asked Grewe, who took the responsibility for the losses. “That’s the difference between a championship ball club and one who’s surviving — and we’re just trying to survive.”

MSU plays Central Michigan at 5:05 p.m. Wednesday at Oldsmobile Park in Lansing.

Share and discuss “Walk this way” on social media.