Heisman watch

Heisman race down to four; winner to be announced Saturday

The college football regular season is officially over, and what a year it was. Unbelievable upsets, Heisman moments and gritty leaders summarize the 2007 season. Just as there is no clear-cut favorite to play in the BCS National Championship game, the Heisman race is just as interesting.

Luckily, we won’t have to wait until Jan. 7 for the winner to do the pose, as the Heisman Trophy presentation will be shown at 8 p.m. Saturday on ESPN.

Until then, it’s time for one final Heisman Watch to see where each candidate stands.

Tim Tebow

QB, Florida

Season: Passing — 3,132 yards, 29 TDs, 6 INTs; Rushing — 838 yards, 22 TDs

Why he will win it: The Heisman is awarded to the most outstanding player, and Tebow’s season has been outstanding in every respect. Not only does he have the numbers, but Tebow has made history by becoming the inaugural member of the 20-20 club (20 passing touchdowns, 20 rushing touchdowns). He also displayed the toughness that comes with being nicknamed “The Hammer” by playing with both a separated nonthrowing shoulder and broken nonthrowing hand.

Darren McFadden

RB, Arkansas

Season: 1,725 yards, 15 TDs; 6-of-11 passing for 123 yards and 4 TDs

Why he will win it: McFadden was the preseason favorite for the award, and as the Razorbacks were struggling out of the gates, McFadden’s stock was slipping. But in November, McFadden had a month to remember as he rushed for 732 yards and four touchdowns, as well as having two memorable Heisman moments. The first one, coming on Nov. 3 when he rushed for 321 yards and a touchdown against South Carolina; the second, when he rushed for 206 yards and three touchdowns in a triple overtime win against then-No. 2 LSU on Nov. 23.

Colt Brennan

QB, Hawaii

Season: 4,174 yards, 38 TDs, 14 INTs; 8 Rushing TDs

Why he will win it: Brennan is one of the most prolific passers in college football history, sitting atop the career touchdown list with 131. He is the quarterback of the nation’s only undefeated team and has led his team to many come-from-behind wins this season.

Chase Daniel

QB, Missouri

Season: 4,170 yards, 33 TDs, 10 INTs

Why he will win it: The 6-foot quarterback led the former No. 1 team to an 11-2 record and a chance at the Big 12 Championship with grit and moxie. When the No. 4 Tigers played then-No. 2 Kansas in what was then the biggest game of the year, Daniel completed 40-of-49 passes for 361 yards and three touchdowns.

Share and discuss “Heisman watch” on social media.