Word on the street: Summer reading

The State News: What do you like to read during the summertime?

I like to read magazines a lot. I read The Progressive and The Economist a lot. I'm in the middle of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." It's a memoir about a writer's life, taking care of his little brother after his parents died.

SN: What books would you recommend to students?

People should read a lot of (Kurt) Vonnegut over the summer. I like "Jailbird."

- Dominique Lewis, starting in August as a political science graduate student

SN: What do you like to read during the summertime?

For the last couple of summers, I haven't read as much as I should. When I do read, I like to read something that's a release from textbooks, like novels.

SN: What genres do you like?

I'm not really into murder mysteries, but fictional and something eclectic. I also like National Geographic and travel magazines.

For med students, there's a book I'd recommend; it's called "The Cost-Effective Use of Leeches and Other Musings of a Medical School Survivor." It's a more joking book about the stress you have in school.

- Eric Rueff, human biology senior

Travel books, sometimes — especially if I'm going somewhere — fiction, and catching up on class reading I never actually did. I'm going to Dublin, Ireland, so yes, I've definitely been reading about that.

SN: What are your favorite kinds of travel books?

My favorite is "Lonely Planet." It's for students. They'll have hostel listings, where you can get Fodor's (travel guides), you'll get super-fancy hotels — not quite tailored to the student budget.

SN: Do you like to read a lot?

Yeah, I definitely love to read. It's how I relax. It's usually more interesting than TV.

SN: Are there any books you'd recommend to other students?

If anyone is into science fiction, Mercedes Lackey just came out with a new one. I think it's called "One Good Knight." It's more of a girlie science fiction, I suppose. I'm excited to read that over the summer and, of course, the new Harry Potter that's coming out over the summer. We're finally going to see how it ends up.

SN: Do you think Harry's going to die?

I'm going to say no. (J.K. Rowling) has been getting darker and darker, but I feel she'd lose a lot of fans.

- Sarah Wright, interdisciplinary studies in social science, international relations and geography senior

I don't read during the summer. I mostly work.

SN: Do you read magazines?

Oh yeah, I read Vice, Rolling Stone, Model Mania and High Times.

SN: What is your favorite magazine?

Vice. It's a good pop-culture magazine. It's pretty funny and has decent articles. It's got a bit of everything.

SN: What's the last book you read that you'd recommend to students?

I think it was "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway. It's probably required reading for a lot of students, though.

- Robert Galka, chemistry junior

SN: What is your favorite book?

My favorite book is "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. It's really funny and has a very serious message about war.

SN: What other books do you like?

I've read "The End of Faith," which was about how religion is causing problems in foreign policy and things like that.

- Bradford Bambusch, business and pre-law senior

SN: What do you like to read?

I like to read African American history, nonfiction. Probably my favorite book in that genre would be "Assata" by Assata Shakur. It's about Assata Shakur, a former black panther in the '60s, and basically focusing on her time in prison when she was being held in prison as a political prisoner for a crime she did not commit.

SN: What do you like about it?

It's very empowering to hear stories of people being oppressed for their political ideology. It gives people who share a common ideology hope for the future.

- Nicole Iaquinto, social relations freshman

Share and discuss “Word on the street: Summer reading” on social media.