Monday, May 20, 2024

Common Ground festival wraps up successful year

14,500 attended Friday night acts

Lansing residents Emily Bourne, left, and Mandy Dalkire dance to "Walk Like an Egyptian" performed by The Bangles Saturday night at Louis F. Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing. Dalkire said the first cassette tape she bought was by The Bangles and that she has been listening to the group since she was 5 years old. The performance was part of the Common Ground Music Festival, which ended Sunday night.

It was a record-setting year at Common Ground Music Festival, with attendance figures for Friday night's concerts reaching 14,500. The previous record was 12,500, set in 2004.

"Every night, we hear people on the way out say 'thank you' and how great the concerts were," said the festival's media coordinator, Malinda Barr. "It's been better than the best."

Saturday night, blues/R & B/gospel singer Etta James, 68, hit the East Main Stage at Common Ground Music Festival with passion.

She sat down for most of the show, but when she did get up and dance, she really shook it down.

It came as no surprise to the audience when she performed her big hit "At Last."

She also performed a rendition of "Love and Happiness," made famous by Al Green.

Lansing resident Jennifer Spencer said she was satisfied with this year's Common Ground.

"The beer prices are good, and I really enjoyed Etta James," Spencer said.

Spencer went on to say that there was too much classic rock at Common Ground and believed the acts on the second stage, where James performed, were better.

Overall Barr said she felt this year's Common Ground was a huge success.

Share and discuss “Common Ground festival wraps up successful year” on social media.