The vault: 'Class Act' captures the '90s better than most

After "House Party," but before they faded into oblivion, pop-rap duo Kid 'N Play teamed up for "Class Act," a slapstick teen comedy that is pure '90s.

The 1992 film encompasses more aspects of the decade than any VH1 special could — most of the characters wear Cross Colours, the language is "dope" and everything's asymmetric, including main character Duncan Pinderhughes' hairstyle.

The movie tells a tale of mistaken identities. Duncan (played by Kid, real name Christopher Reid) is a straight-A scholar who has everything he needs to land a full ride to an Ivy League school — except a physical education requirement. Blade Brown (played by Play, real name Christopher Martin) is your typical troublemaker, landing in and out of juvenile hall for various offenses. A mix-up courtesy by the school secretary puts Duncan in the special education classes and Blade in the advanced placement program.

The two realize there's a hidden advantage to the switch. Posing as each other, Blade agrees to pass a physical education class for the athletically inept Duncan, while Duncan passes all of Blade's classes to keep him out of juvenile hall. But they have to take on each other's personalities as well.

Can the straight-edge Duncan take on a street-smart, tough-talking persona? Not really. In fact, Duncan's overnight change from nerd to thug leads his ultra-conservative parents to think he's gay — which brings a whole new level of comedy to the flick.

One of the best parts of the film is ensemble casting. The film features a mix of then-popular sitcom stars, including Thomas Mikal Ford (the no-job-having Tommy from "Martin"), Karyn Parsons (Hilary Banks from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"), Meshach Taylor ("Designing Women") and Rhea Perlman ("Cheers").

Oh, and Pauly Shore. You can't talk about this movie without mentioning Pauly Shore. The '90s icon makes a cameo in this flick as the school's token hippie-stoner dude. His phrase "Later, buddddd-ies" will stick with you through the whole movie.

The songs that play throughout the movie also highlight the film, featuring songs from two-hit-wonder girl group Jade and R&B group Jodeci — more symbols of the colorful '90s.

There's a cheesy anti-drug theme throughout the flick. Not that there's anything wrong with not doing drugs, but it's thrown in the viewer's face a little too much. And the script is so basic that if one were to watch it more than three times they'd know the whole dialogue.

The big question is whatever happened to Alysia Rogers, who played Duncan's girlfriend, Damita? She's the scene stealer throughout the movie, demanding attention with all of her sassy quotes.

Overall, this is probably the most underrated teen movie of the '90s, maybe even of all time. It's not as risqué as "American Pie," but will provide more laughs than "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." If nothing else, it's a good look at the decade that once was.

Share and discuss “The vault: 'Class Act' captures the '90s better than most” on social media.